RS Mag 21 servicing

Re:

Yeah, you'll find that and more in the archive here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... e/Service/

The cost of a full service is not really in my opinion worth it for the fork, unless you do it yourself.
I've services quite a few and rebuilt from part many over the past 10 years or so I've been on here.

When you get them
- Pump them up, you'll need needle in a pump (basketball/football) to do that.See if they then piss the air back out.
If not, you're good for now

Then pop the caps off, poor some oil out see what it looks like.
If horrible or you just want to do it anyway, buy some 5 wt oil, unless you are on the heavier side (see sutherland tweaking manual) and add a bit to each and flush out what you can a few times.
Then fill with out, fit caps, set the oil level and pump up and go for a ride (you can buy nice pumps of ebay that have a dial at the low pressure up to 60 PSI range).
If they loose air over time, you can make/buy/get me or somebody else to fix the air seals for you, should be no more than a tenner maybe.
Give them a go and tweak.

If other stuff happens, like oil out the main seal or warn bushes, they can be replaced but you need to split the forks apart.. which can be done at home without the tools most of the time.

Have fun, have a go, oil doesn't cost that much.
Hi , I've a set of Mag 20s that are testing me. One leg won't return back to full length, I've removed the clip and I'm unable to to get the leg split even with 100psi in .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221101-224834_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101-224834_Messenger.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20221101-224850_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101-224850_Messenger.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 8
I had a set like that, both legs, I think leaving it for 5years and some stuff sorted it.

I know I looked at DIY pullers.

Maybe alter the oil inside a bit, can't remember.
Maybe I hammered the lower off, or pulled apart somehow.
MAG20 should be easier for brute force as they don't have the negative spring

Could try lifting the seal edges and getting lube in the, could get some heat around the seals etc.

Back