rockshox mag 21 sl ti repaint ;)

Have you used a special primer before lacquer ? If not I'm not sure of the result with the time... Apparently magnesium is really different than aluminium in results... Just my 2 cents. On other hands very nice results.. 👍
How can you primer a polished part there done like the factory would of done them hence why none lasted although I did put more lacquer coats on than I normally would to try keep looking good as long as possible

well etch primer will eat into the metal hence ETCH and the other will have to be compatible with 2k thinners or will react the best way to my thinking was to seal it best you can from the elements with more lacquer coats and then time will tell i spose

Last edited:
An etch primer would etch the mirror like surface, loosing it?

Having done MAG21 before and having fun trying different colour and style out.
I also tried different mirror polishing finishes, the difference.
The difference from a Shiny to a just of Shiny was quite noticeable.
Unless of course the primer recreated the same mirror like effect.

It was never a finish to last 27years, it didn't really last 1year and that was just sat in the box 😂.
It was only done for one year and by 1995 even the standard finish had been simplified maybe(?) as it lasted much longer.

An etch primer would etch the mirror like surface, loosing it?

Having done MAG21 before and having fun trying different colour and style out.
I also tried different mirror polishing finishes, the difference.
The difference from a Shiny to a just of Shiny was quite noticeable.
Unless of course the primer recreated the same mirror like effect.

It was never a finish to last 27years, it didn't really last 1year and that was just sat in the box 😂.
It was only done for one year and by 1995 even the standard finish had been simplified maybe(?) as it lasted much longer.
from my understanding an etch primer is just that it has a chemical that etches into the surface to help adhere to the metal im no wizard of the paint world i was asked to get them to as near to the factory finish as my skills would allow so i did what i thought and added coats of the lacquer and yellow additive testing on silver foil till i got what i thought was the desired effect/colour
i have always found the more you complicate a paint process the more trouble you have so kept it as simple as i could to achieve desired effect
as always the proof is in the pudding and only time will tell on the longevity of the finish. my mate i painted them for just didn't want me to use normal paint as then really you have what looks to be a mag 21
maybe people on here will use an etch primer or some other items/process and i wish you all the best ;)

Back