Roberts White Spider with xtr (and a dent)

I'm 99% certain this is a Black Leopard, the amount of fork eyelets made me think it was more of a touring focused bike than an out and out mtb like a White Spider, I just found confirmation, it has much wider tyre clearance and mounts for 3 water bottles with one pair of mounts beneath the downtube. Didn't spot them during the teardown, attached pic is from a 1992 brochure.

rob broc.JPG

This is really fantastic news because for a while I thought I already had one of these, but that frame remains unidentified, it could be almost anything from a White Spider, a Roughstuff or more likely a completely bespoke custom frame not conforming strictly to any of the catalogue models.

So I'm going to get this frame checked out, if the damage hasn't impacted the frames structural integrity I'll get it repaired and repainted and THIS will become my overnight bikepacking/fishing trip trekker, and the other frame will probably be used as a commuter, although which one gets the XTR is yet to be decided 🤔

Just a view of the underside of the frame, it really is a shame the top tube took a whack because the rest of the bike is close to spotless, look at that BB shell ffs...
bb.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one. I don't know what I'm happiest about; The fact it turned out to be pristine and you got a bargain or that you are going to bring it back to life after 25 years and actually use it.

Nice one. I don't know what I'm happiest about; The fact it turned out to be pristine and you got a bargain or that you are going to bring it back to life after 25 years and actually use it.
Seeing how happy this makes you, makes me happy dude. Enjoy each moment restoring each party to it's former glory. 👍
If you'd have told me a year ago that I'd be planning a build with a Roberts frameset and full XTR groupset, and all of it would be in lovely barely ridden condition I wouldn't have believed you, XTR in particular was basically out of reach for me, except for the odd well worn component there's just no way, I don't even look at the stuff, what's the point? Why do that to yourself?

But sitting here washing away the surface dirt and unearthing almost minty stuff feels like I'm digging up some treasure, I know it's not like some of the legendary finds we sometimes see on here, boutique bikes for $30 off Craig's list etc, I mean I put a fair amount of money down for a start, on a hunch, a gut feeling, knowing full well it might end in a complete disaster, with me being saddled with knackered group, a buggered frame and being £450 lighter. Imagine the level of brave face cope posting I'd be engaging in now if that were the case :oops: Truth be told I'd probably not post at all until I was sure the whole episode was forgotten about, licking my wounds and cursing my recklessness while trying to pretend for the missus that I'd had a result.

Behold the drivetrain, this is just after a quick clean in warm soapy water, I haven't polished anything yet, yes I'm as happy as a pig in shit 😁
drivetrain.jpg

That was a good hunch....the photos really weren't inspiring, it looked like a very uncared for dirty, rusty, unloved hulk, but yes...on closer inpection the potential is visiable and you had the balls see that, make a decent offer and snag it straight away....no small sum to gamble..but definitely a win.

Good times..... A smile is deserved, time to sit down with a brew and know you got value for money.

👍

Back