Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X

Re:

If you had it done by Chas then he sends his frames to a local sprayer and that's the way they come back.

I had mine sprayed orange and black, so I don't have the small 'The' or the columbus logo, but the font is the same.

Re:

Original format for comparison, and the mag scan.

Attachments

• THE LEGEND THEY CALL THE D.O.G.S  B.O.L.O.X.jpg
    THE LEGEND THEY CALL THE D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 375
  • powder and graphics.jpg
    powder and graphics.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 372
Re:

Just came across this thread ....

It started before I joined this site and is still ongoing :D

Guess its like a fine Scottish malt......can't be rushed

I'm sure it will be worth the wait

Re:

Back again, my only concern is that it usually ends up with the parting of cash, another project started with none finished or a stockpile of components that just sit there.

Well so far it’s been none of the above. It has however involved touching base with a retro rider that I met a few years ago by pure chance, contributing a little to helping someone finding a lost part and moving forward with my Roberts project restoration that stalled when the frame was painted by colortech under request from Chas but unfortunately they used the modern font. So its been sat there for what? Maybe 9-10 years not moving forward.

I decided to ring Argos in Bristol and found myself chatting first with Pete. This guy has been working with Argos for about 19 years and we got well into the subject of font. I had assumed after my research 12 years ago that the font used was Crillee. I was put right as Pete explained he had painstakingly researched and created the correct font that was used by Roberts from the early 90’s. My example being a 92 does not deserve the later font it was painted with. As the rest of the paint was by far perfect but still very good I wondered if it would be possible to just strip the top and down tube and blend in with correct stenciled font. This had implications and to be honest for the price of a set of M900 sti’s I could have the whole job done. That was my decision.

A couple of days later and having sent in some photos to Mark at Argos we had a chat about all the options. I expressed my concern as this bike had been painted five times and had probably been blasted just as many. These thin tubes do not last forever. Chas had commented how well this frame had survived. It had been used continuously between 92 and 95 for training and the race ccts both summer and winter. SAMS, Matchams, Nationals, Cyclocross etc etc yes it was used but not abused. I did crack the underside of the top tube up near the headstock and this was repaired by Charles ralph of Alves fame. He actually brazed in a Columbus MAX OR in place of the top tube. “Here you go, you won’t break that”, I didn’t.

Anyhow back to Argos. Mark and I agreed to treat the frame like an alluminium frame and to chemical dip to remove the existing paint. I had offered to strip myself but was advised that my sticky greasy little mits would result in a need to lightly blast the frame anyhow. This would also provide a good key for the future paint to adhere to.

My involvement was paramount and right from the start it felt like it, I was instilled with confidence during and after both conversations. I explained I had photos of the original bike and would photocopy these and forward on for reference. It’s clear that the Roberts font varies in both size and position depending on the bike and Its about how it was to a certain degree for me. One change I decided to make was the black rear end as it was red originally. If I am honest there is a little doubt in my mind but just a little. Prior to painting these guys will provide me with art work of what will be created giving an opportunity to change if required.

All in all a great experience so far. Next is for me to work out when I am going to head down to Bristol and drop off the frame. Hopefully within the next couple of months.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20190123_205716-1008x567.jpg
    20190123_205716-1008x567.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 216
Re:

BB removed this evening by Cliff at Royce UK

http://www.royceuk.co.uk/Royce-Uk.html

Cliff is an absolute legend and so accommodating. He is now a septuagenarian or has been for a little while, still rides his bike, still engineering and will put many folks 20 years his junior to shame. He is helping me out with another little project and then its down to Argos to drop this frame off for a correct paint job.

By the way if you want period Royce BB components or a complete BB Cliff has them in stock, 99% sure they are from the early 90's.

http://www.royceuk.co.uk/Bottom-Bracket ... taper.html

Check it out, give him a ring and see what he has.

Still collecting some pieces as I will be going down a different build route now so please check out my wanted add.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 2#p2920482

More later :D

Re:

Great to see this coming together. Are you local to Bournemouth/Poole?
I always enjoy popping to see Cliff.

Re:

Great stuff ... heading your way right now. Unfortunately by car not bike. When your Roberts is done we’ll have to take a ride... a pair of BOLX!

This thread is reminding me of the Dumb and Dumber To sketch where Lloyd fakes for twenty years, "C'mom Lloyd you gotta get over this paint job."
Well I have news! The frame is at Argos being put right! Of course it will be some time as I trawl through old photos and send to Mark for accurate positioning of the CORRECT FONT Grrrrrr, sorry just a little angry, yes still after all these years.

More later. Wish me luck.

This thread is reminding me of the Dumb and Dumber To sketch where Lloyd fakes for twenty years, "C'mom Lloyd you gotta get over this paint job."
Well I have news! The frame is at Argos being put right! Of course it will be some time as I trawl through old photos and send to Mark for accurate positioning of the CORRECT FONT Grrrrrr, sorry just a little angry, yes still after all these years.

More later. Wish me luck.
Only just seen this thread, looks like you know what you want and you will make sure you get it. Good work.

I know what you mean about a project dragging on, I have rebuilt my Land Rover 3 times over the last 12 years because I wasn't happy with compromises!

Back