Road Racing Pictures •

Not quite fed up yet (but getting there - slowly)

Just a few more as you asked nicely:)

View attachment 816288

Ellesmere Fred Roberts Memorial 100 mile RR 1965. I was the commissaire (they'd have anybody in those days!) in the following car. The only rider I can remember now is No.17 Brian Pearson Merseyside Whs.

View attachment 816287

The finish - but can't remember any names except that 2nd place was a guy from Chesterfield Coureurs. Love the bonedome crash helmet! And the motor cycle cop in his (slightly) more modern version.

View attachment 816291

Het Volk 1993 at the bottom of 'The Mur'. No idea who the riders are but it was a small break who ultimately got caught.

View attachment 816292

Swinging round to get the bunch grinding up 'The Mur'. It was a cold day!

View attachment 816293

Same event on the 'Oude Kwaremont'. I managed to have a chat with Alan Peiper who was spectating, really nice guy. Later we gave a lift to the finish to Thiery Marie and he gave me his Bidon which I still have.

Getting to the dregs now - unless I do a bit of scanning.
Sorry for being so late to this ,sure it’ll all come back to you but in the ‘ break being caught ‘ photo I think that’s Johan Capiot leading with Ed Van Hoydonk in the hat on the outside of the bend ,might be getting years mixed up but is that the blue of a Motorola jersey peeking out over Capiots shoulder ? ,it’s a very good shot and what a great spot to view

Some superb photos. Reminds me of a quote from a Magnum photographer "If your pictures aren't good enough, you are not close enough!".
Sorry to be late to this and a bore ,the quote was from the great Robert Capa ,he was one of very few photographers to be part of the d-day landings on a heavy fighting beach ,his fuzzy shots from Omaha were the visual reference for the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan ,the main reason they were so fuzzy and muted was he’d sent the rolls back to London for developing very soon after the beach was taken but the lad processing them hung the negatives to dry in too much heat or somesuch and he re-entered the room to find the emulsion literally sliding off the negatives plastic ,only a few shots out whole rolls were salvaged.
Some superb photos. Reminds me of a quote from a Magnum photographer "If your pictures aren't good enough, you are not close enough!".

I will be indebted if anyone can dig up and old poster advertising San Marco Rolls saddles. It features Saronni Giuseppe, with I think one or two team mates, and is a photo of them tucking into some pasta and wine in a mountain type chalet. The bike is practically at the table too with the rear of the saddle in view to the camera. Call me weird, but have searched for ages for it being a self confessed Rolls fanboy.

Last edited:
Back