Road frame id.

Hroda

Retro Newbie
Hello Folks,i am a newcomer to this website,i am trying to get some dating advice on my 1930's? FW Twiddle frame and forks,22" frame black with a red undercoat ,it has a grease nipple in the headset and on the bottom bracket also the frame/forks No. is 019,the underside of the BB is stamped 'made in great britain' 'G V' which i assume is King George the 5th,as he passed away in 1936,the frame must be at least early '30's or earlier? any advice would be welcome,i have built it up into a single speeder. Ta.

I doubt if there is a regal connection, but when you can post some sharp detail pics, bottom bracket, head, seat cluster fork ends etc. and we may be able to estimate the date.
If it has an original Sturmey Archer 3 speed there may be a date on the hub.
Williams crank sets often have dates.
In the early 30s there was a fashion for very small frames with shallow angles which had finished by late 30s.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I bought it on ebay from gent in N Wales who found it in a loft clearance,just the frame and forks,i tried to fit a S/A hub but the fork clearance would only take a single speed wheel,i will post some photo's from my smart phone Ta

F W Twiddle eh! The man who gave his name to fast pedalling on a fixed gear. Popular shop in Liverpool BITD I believe. Not seen one of his frames for years.

Back