Road Bike parts Question

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not sure where to put it. Just want a simplish answer really..

Have a low end cannondale synapse. Needs new brake pads as winter has eaten them already, the current brakes are some low end tektro or promax, cant remember which.

Before I just replace the pads, are brakes worth upgrading? Can buy front and rear 105 calipers with pads for £35 from Merlin (now out of stock). Will I notice much difference? Current brakes are rubbish but I guessed that was just because it's not a U brake ;)

Are the current brakes single pivot?

If so, buying a cheap pair of dual pivot brakes might improve the braking a bit. Dual pivots are slightly more powerful I think (something to do with mechanical advantage).

Otherwise, you might be better off spending the money on some better brake pads. I rode a bike on a long ride with basic front pads and better shimano pads on the rear and it did make a noticeable difference between the front and rear brake.

Johnsqual":hmlmgsd2 said:

If so, buying a cheap pair of dual pivot brakes might improve the braking a bit. Dual pivots are slightly more powerful I think (something to do with mechanical advantage).

Otherwise, you might be better off spending the money on some better brake pads. I rode a bike on a long ride with basic front pads and better shimano pads on the rear and it did make a noticeable difference between the front and rear brake.

How can I tell if they are single or dual or when I look tonight will it be obvious? :facepalm: :oops:

coomber":1d1lehym said:
Johnsqual":1d1lehym said:

How can I tell if they are single or dual or when I look tonight will it be obvious? :facepalm: :oops:
With a single pivot, the bolt that goes through the fork crown (or seat-stay bridge) is the single pivot that the caliper arms rotate around.

With a dual pivot, there's another pivot point on the calipers. A picture / thousand words thing, here's dual pivot on my BMX:-

In that particular brake, the arm to the rear pivots around the bolt that goes through the fork crown, and the arm in front pivots around the bolt head you can see on the left arm (as you look at it).

It's got a different front brake on, now, also a dual pivot, but in that example it has a separate pivot point at the rear (ie not the brake mounting bolt), but a similar, visible pivot point on the front arm:-

Attachments

• IMG_20140831_183756.jpg
    IMG_20140831_183756.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_20140914_184017.jpg
    IMG_20140914_184017.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 513
Gents that's really obvious now thanks a lot.

I will see if they are dual, which I think they are. That being the case I will buy some decent pads and not bother with the upgrade.

Re: Re:

Johnsqual":38o9cuqn said:
Upgrading the pads is a much easier solution anyway.

Good luck,

Johnny

Yes you are probably right.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tbh, an upgrade to 105 will give you a noticeable improvement over many of the OE brakes.

Take the opportunity to fit new cables as well and you'll be surprised.

Back