RIP Luciano Berruti

Re:

"Luciano Berruti was born in 1943 in Cosseria from a humble family of workers. He was a restless and a dynamic child. Very soon he developed a passion for cycling and he practiced it up to young category when, because of some accidents, he decided to abandon the sport. The 20-year-old Luciano was definitely a very curious person and eager to do new experiences, so he decided to leave for a trip around Europe on his motorcycle. Curiosity led him towards the Eastern countries in the early '60s and it was during one of these trips that Luciano met a young woman, who then became his wife, with whom he will later form a beautiful family. Anyway, the passion for cycling was still inherent in him and it reappeared several years later, when he was about forty years old and he got back in the saddle. Road, mountain bike and cyclo-cross: countless Italian titles and three coloured T-shirts are indisputable evidence of his sporting qualities. The search for new challenges in 1996 pushed him closer to classic cycling. He joined in "L'Eroica" of Gaiole in Chianti and since that moment, a passionate path began: his passion, his continuous researches on the history of bicycle and the meticulousness with which he devoted himself to the subject quickly made him one of the reference points for cycling in Italy and Europe. Luciano grew up on a bike; he always used it to go to work and to move himself: this made him a great cyclist. That bike, which has always been his passion, made him a collector, pushing him to the collection of memorabilia ranging from the velocipede to the modern bike, precious and rare pieces related to the world of two wheels. His exhibits are the crew jewels of worldly and sporting events in Italy. The Bicycle Museum in Cosseria, inaugurate in 2010, is the result of this magnificent work of research. Here you can admire means of transport ranging from the late nineteenth century as the velocipede, to today’s bikes, team and champions T-shirts, photographs, posters and objects of various kinds which, combined with great passion and experience of Luciano, will ride you back in time."

Re:

I had the pleasure of finally metting him at this years Eroica Britannia, it'll certainly feel different next year, he will be missed.

DSC00407.jpg

It was my good fortune to meet Luciano on the hills of the Eroica California, when I passed him on the way down to a water.food stop and checkpoint, shortly afterwards, on the next big hill I had to walk to save my legs and found him coming up behind me. He then got on his 100 year old single speed bike and pedalled past me.

As the face of the Eroica experience he will always inspire me and many others to get on our classic bikes and fly the flag for the traditional rides.

May his cycling soul rest in peace.

Attachments

• EroicaCal StartingRidersNo1 Apr2017 03668 TN.jpg
    EroicaCal StartingRidersNo1 Apr2017 03668 TN.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 249
  • EroicaCal RiderNo1 Apr2017 03678 TN.jpg
    EroicaCal RiderNo1 Apr2017 03678 TN.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 249
Back