Rick Powell (?) / Giant Cyclocross

There was the actual Raleigh team. And also Stilton RC/RT had three or four riders locally, they were supported team. Plus lots of riders actually bought the frames as they were fairly well represented and supported round there.

I hate to hijack a thread but while you two folks are here are you able to recall a cyclocross team that would have ridden Raleigh’s back then? I have a SBDU frame that might well be a Reynolds/Raleigh development frame for 708 tubing. IIRC I bought it from a chap in Chesterfield.
If you are not a member already there is a facebook group British Cyclocross Then and Now. If you search for Raleigh a few photos come up from that era, Steve Douce , Adrian Timmis etc.

If you are not a member already there is a facebook group British Cyclocross Then and Now. If you search for Raleigh a few photos come up from that era, Steve Douce , Adrian Timmis etc.
Sorry, should have been more specific. I do remember those riders and the Raleigh pro team but my question is on more of a local level. This frame is definitely not made from any known Reynolds tubing and was branded Dyna-Tech despite being conventionally brazed. I suspect it could have been used as a development frame for 708 tubing.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, here’s a picture of another one of my bikes in compensation. It’s a Rick Powell too. 43483654-90B3-4FB8-A776-5C5670CDEF2D.jpeg

There was the actual Raleigh team. And also Stilton RC/RT had three or four riders locally, they were supported team. Plus lots of riders actually bought the frames as they were fairly well represented and supported round there.
Ooo. That sounds promising. I was thinking a connection through to Raleigh development could potentially help all parties out and design dead-ends, of which there will always be some, would be less of an issue if they are not detrimental to the success of the pro team. Using local riders as Guinea Pigs sounds a bit harsh but it must have been done. As it turns out my frame has died rather spectacularly.
Again, another frame hijack so here’s another Rick Powell of mine - although I no longer own it (sob).
779F3D85-0A53-4226-AF84-CC6174377827.jpeg

Last edited:
Back