Rick Powell (?) / Giant Cyclocross

jeddere

Dirt Disciple
Recently picked up a cyclocross bike badged as a Giant, however frame number (DD556) suggests it was built by Rick Powell of DD Enterprises based on previous topics (see here).

Rear dropout is stamped Reynolds. Takes a well-fitting 27.2 mm seatpost, which along with the fork weight suggests to me 531 tubing. 75 degree seat tube [EDIT: remeasured at 74 degrees], 73 degree head tube. Top tube cable routing, no bottle bosses.

Bought with a mix of parts including 8-speed bar-ends and I think it has been kitted out for road riding at some point.

Previous owner remembered it had been purchased off a team manager many years ago. I'm planning to rebuild as a cross bike, the main issue being finding the right tyre/rim combination to clear the chainstays which have approx 35 mm between them at the tyre. Fair bit of rust showing through, particularly on the back of the fork so might re-coat although would be a bit of a shame to loose the paintjob if it was raced by Giant. Any comments regarding the likely history would be interesting.

Photos:
DS.JPG

head%20tube.JPG

rear%20dropout.JPG

front%20mech.JPG

seat%20post.JPG

fork.JPG

BB.JPG

steerer.JPG

Where are the photos? Please try again as I'm intrigued to see a CX frame with a 75 degree seat angle.

Woops - hope the photos work now.
I was surprised by 75 degree too - perhaps I should re-measure. Note I think the front tyre was inflated when I measured.

Re:

Decided to get it enameled at Argos Cycles. Turns out the chainstays were rusted from the inside and needed replacing. On the plus side this allowed them to rebuild it with more tyre clearance!

Rick%20P%20painted.JPG

Very SBDU Raleigh'ish tops to the seatstays. Did you find out any more about its history?

Re:

I spoke to Dave Marsh on the phone who said it probably was a Rick Powell based on the serial number. I've seen a few photos of similar frames with similar paint jobs being described as riden by a Giant cyclocross team, but nothing other than that.

Perhaps the SBDU similarity makes sense as Rick Powell worked at Carlton from the 1950's to 1981 according to this: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... l_Rick.htm

Note I remeasured the seat tube angle and it is 74, not 75 degrees.

Re:

That's a good looking frame, I can see the Raleigh connection with the capped
seat stays and neat cable guides. I had a steel frame Giant mountain bike in the same team colours. :D

Re:

Almost certainly one of Ricks frames. Notice that the DD is smaller than the numbers. That’s the same as the two frames of his that I have owned (pic enclosed).
As for tyres and rims, prob a bit late now but I have a touring frame with similar width between the stays an have fitted Mavic A719 rims and Schwalbe CX Pro 30mm.

Attachments

• 09691130-A900-4033-BB1E-894A35164483.jpeg
    09691130-A900-4033-BB1E-894A35164483.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 760
Re:

Thanks for the replies. Good to see the frame number style matches.

The Schwalbe CX Pro looks useful for narrow clearance frames although I'm hoping to run tubeless to be able to run low pressures (for racing). I've picked up some Vittoria Terreno Wet TNT 700x31C tyres which measure:
29.5mm on a 17mm internal rim width
31.5mm on a 19.8mm internal rim width

The frame now has about 40mm clearance at the chainstays so I'll probably go with 19 to 20 mm internal width rims.

Back