Reynolds 531 tube frames with clearance for 32 mm tires

Have a Bridgestone RB-T from 1992 have room for 32mm tires with mudguards, 35 with out, and a lovely light, responsive and springy ride. Just got a 1994 Dawes Galaxy 531 frameset and according to the former owner it has room for 38mm with mudguards. But I expect the ride to be more like a tank unloaded.

Last edited:
Have a Bridgestone RB-T from 1992 have room for 32mm tires with mudguards, 35 with out, and a lovely light, responsive and springy ride. Just got a 1994 Dawes Galaxy frameset and according to the former owner it has room for 38mm with mudguards. But I expect the ride to be more like a tank unloaded.
Where are you based? Know those Bridgestone RB-T have a proper cult following stateside, possibly due to Grant Peterson (of Rivendell) having been involved with Bridgestone till the mid 90s.

Tommy, I'm in Sweden and as far as I know the RB-T was never sold outside of the US but could be wrong. Grant P is IMO one of the few sound minds left in the bike industry and his influence is not to be under estimated even today. Who haven't noticed the resurgent of front racks/baskets on refurb old bikes, canvas everything, thumb shifters, wider tires (700x33,3mm that just about fit in more recent brakes), 650b etc. Frame is lugged with Ishiwata 022 tubing witch has been said to have higher quality and better characteristics than most other manufactures, including Reynolds and Columbus, of that time:

Last edited:
I have a late 90s Roberts Clubman, it does 30mm with mudguards, 32 without. I could go wider on the front, but not the back. I'm not sure how that would affect things? I run open pro's if that helps for reference.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=419091 Sold, but a late 90s frame I belive, easily doing 32's and I think their are some King Of Mercia on the forum that have slightly wider clearance too?

Now running Rene Herse 32s, but these are more like a 31.

If I was to run nobblies again, could possibly get away with 33's

Tommy, I'm in Sweden and as far as I know the RB-T was never sold outside of the US but could be wrong. Grant P is IMO one of the few sound minds left in the bike industry and his influence is not to be under estimated even today. Who haven't noticed the resurgent of front racks/baskets on refurb old bikes, canvas everything, thumb shifters, wider tires (700x33,3mm that just about fit in more recent brakes), 650b etc. Frame is lugged with Ishiwata 022 tubing witch has been said to have higher quality and better characteristics than most other manufactures, including Reynolds and Columbus, of that time:

I think people can see he just talks a lot of sense. Especially those of us who realise retro bikes are just as good as or even better than modern bikes.

I also like a lot of what Jan Heine/ René Herse/ Bicycle Quarterly do, but I think sometimes I think the way he presents his 'research' just alienates people. Maybe they should just do what Rivendell do and let the quality and practicality do the talking?

Back