Retrobike Touring.

I’m thinking about security. I know the bigger and heavier a lock is the more secure it is. I have a bang average D shackle lock that I use if I go shopping or something. I don’t want to cart it around as it weighs about the same as my new tent.
My route takes me to mostly small places off the main roads. I still want to lock the bike though. I have owned it since 1991 and don’t want to lose it now.
What do experienced tourers like @hamster use on tour? I am hoping to fit the bike in the tent with me at night so the lock would be needed for the frequent stops I expect to make.
I’m thinking a cable with a key. Around 180cm in length to include securing the trailer as well.

I’m thinking about security. I know the bigger and heavier a lock is the more secure it is. I have a bang average D shackle lock that I use if I go shopping or something. I don’t want to cart it around as it weighs about the same as my new tent.
My route takes me to mostly small places off the main roads. I still want to lock the bike though. I have owned it since 1991 and don’t want to lose it now.
What do experienced tourers like @hamster use on tour? I am hoping to fit the bike in the tent with me at night so the lock would be needed for the frequent stops I expect to make.
I’m thinking a cable with a key. Around 180cm in length to include securing the trailer as well.
I use a Magnum cable lock about 12mm diameter, looks better than it probably is. Weighs 1.1kg long enough for both our bikes.

Last edited:
Haha been bikepacking with people who eventually just leaned their custom made steel modern gravel bikes against a tree for the night and were like "it will probably wake us if anyone walks around".
I personally carry u-lock everywhere, but also, I use racks and all my camping gear is heavy anyway. For the night, I try to compose the bike into the structure of the tent, like running the poles through wheels and such, if it makes sense. Thinking a fine but not really heavy cable lock would do the job, any that would require noisy tools to go through.

If I am riding somewhere like Dartmoor then I take a small cable lock - the sort to immobilise the bike when popping into a small shop. When elsewhere a 20cm D-lock. If I am camping somewhere massively visible to lots of people it's probably the wrong spot anyway.

A 30 year old touring bike isn't a particularly attractive target. Probably the most valuable bits are removable with an Allen key anyway - but that takes time and isn't likely in rural areas. So I don't stress too much about it.

Already got one @rwm1962 from that exact link!

If any of you retro bikers have an elderly brass stove you wish to recommission, I can only suggest you use the above link. His level of knowledge is astounding!
Thanks to the Fettlebox my Monitor is roaring like it did back in the 50/60s.

I cannot get out of my head how difficult it could be to make one of those clamps that attaches the stove to the frame for carrying. I just like the idea.

I don't tend to carry a lock, or if I do then a very small zip tie lock at the most however we usually have a longer (but still thin) cable lock between three of us and just lock the bikes to a fence, or to each other in a pile. Though my bikes are not cheap or that tatty they probably just look like an old bike to most. I do tend to ride with a couple of others and camp away from others in quiet areas mostly, that cuts down on the need for extra security.

My plans aren't yet finalised. If with friends riding around Cherbourg in June, with our wives on e-bikes. It's something I've been urging my wife to give a try as she isn't the most enthusiastic about the effort of riding. It' will be very relaxed with long lunches.

I'm hoping for a repeat trip to Scotland, certainly some unfinished business on Islay (plenty more distilleries!) plus there is a nice easy coast to coast route along the Forth-Clyde canal which looks fun. My second son looks to be in St Andrews all summer and I will try to visit him too.

Back