Retro soul and disc brakes - is love possible?

Re:

More mtb than road, but hydro rim brakes make all the wrongs of the world right again (apart from when your rims get wet)

Ugo51":2i6lm6xy said:
foz":2i6lm6xy said:
I've never tried them on a road bike and unless I move back to the UK or somewhere with constantly bad weather, I don't think I ever will. I can see they have their uses though, especially for running wider tyres. But then again, isn't a road bike with wider tyres just a cross bike? :LOL: I think if riding lots in bad weather, then they'd be useful. If your bike never goes out if the sky is anything but brilliant blue, there's not much point. Plus they look fugly.

They are so ugly...
Well, unfortunately there is no much brialliant blue in the sky here :(
(I use the bike mainly for commuting)

I'd stick with normal dual pivot rim brakes - cheap to look after, easy to source and plenty of spares in an emergency (you can nip into Wilkinsons and use a set of v-brakes pads) whereas disc are so prone to contamination its, its, well I cant think of anything

"Discs are so prone to contamination" - not in my experience - had more problems with debris stuck in v brake rubbers and grinding down the rims. Disc pad contamination usually from careless bleeding or over enthusiastic use of gt85 or careless bleeding. Easily sorted by taking out the pads and the use of a blowtorch . Discs are great - once bled properly no fiddling around with cable adjustment and they stop in the wet.

Adjustment can be a bit of a problem. People claim that they're easy to centre on the disc but I have always struggled. On an MTB, that's one thing, but a rubbing brake on a road bike is awful. Worth bearing in mind.

Back