Retro MTB hierarchy

Re:

That’s the joy of a Klein. Source a truckload of NOS Grafton bits, fire it off to Etoe for that new Mardi Gras paint job.. and I reckon your risk of dinging it on a ride goes to zero!

Prodigal Son":24xb9xhk said:
Get a steel specialized stumpjumper from late 80s early 90s: it comes w/ low price, iconic status, high end steel and good all around geometry. Later on look for a made in the usa by cyclists frameset, if you become obssessed w/ vintage.
Whatever you get, buy it w/ a rigid fork or susp fork in working order.

This is great advice. I've yet to find a specialized stumpjumper of that era I didn't like. They rode well then, and still do. If you're thinking slightly later, a Kona would be a good shout.

Personally I would start low ie scour local gumtree etc listings and look for bikes with a recognisable name from the era, that's rideable without too much work and a decent level of groupset for around the £40-£100 mark. There are still loads out there. Groupset wise - avoid anything that looks very plasticly or has steel where you'd expect aluminium. That means you can afford to try out a few different bikes and sell them at probably no loss if until you find what hits the sweet spot.

Prodigal Son":ka1pg9rb said:
I would not describe a Fat Chance built w/ basic shimano LX or even XT as "boutique". Boutique is a luxury, status symbol. I see a Fat Chance as a tool that can do what other tools can´t. It comes w/ handling traits other bikes don´t have.

Obviously this is all subjective, but that's exactly how I'd describe a fat chance, and it's why they command the prices they do.

My_Teenage_Self":1dc3i01g said:
Prodigal Son":1dc3i01g said:
I would not describe a Fat Chance built w/ basic shimano LX or even XT as "boutique". Boutique is a luxury, status symbol. I see a Fat Chance as a tool that can do what other tools can´t. It comes w/ handling traits other bikes don´t have.

Obviously this is all subjective, but that's exactly how I'd describe a fat chance, and it's why they command the prices they do.

A Fat Chance Wicked does not command high prices. It has tons of character and handles different than the usual mid 90s norba racer. It´s ride is spectacular at any technical trail with unbelievable balance.The Yo Eddy gets all the attention but the wicked is a gem and used to be had at proletarian level prices.
Build it w/ xt m730(get a modern taiwanese seatpost cause old ones are hard and expensive to find) and you have a true vintage classic. I would say w/ even more style than a Yo.

Re:

I once treated myself to a gator liner fade klein. Dripping with ringle and xtr m900 it was very high spec. Alas, I hated the ride, it was a bone shaker even on the flat. I was also in fear of ruining the lovely paint.

Higher end gts, marins and even giants are great bikes. Often the groupset defines the model and price, but franes were shared in the range so you can get a great frame with slightly less great parts and enjoy the fun of upgrading.

As said, orange are well regarded.

Re: Re:

ishaw":3vhq9wp0 said:
I once treated myself to a gator liner fade klein. Dripping with ringle and xtr m900 it was very high spec. Alas, I hated the ride, it was a bone shaker even on the flat. I was also in fear of ruining the lovely paint.

Higher end gts, marins and even giants are great bikes. Often the groupset defines the model and price, but franes were shared in the range so you can get a great frame with slightly less great parts and enjoy the fun of upgrading.

What you really wanted was a titanium Merlin :D . NO paint on vibration damping titanium tubes.
In my eyes, a made by an artisan in the usa preferably steel and built w/ mid level shimano parts like LX..this is the right stuff. The names i look for are Salsa, Ibis, Fat Chance, Independent Fabrications, Ritchey, WTB Phoenix, Manitou not t mention the lesser known builders like Curtlo or Brew. IMO those are vintage MTB bikes. Taiwanese frames were copies.

Re:

Titanium did replace with klein, went with a dbr axis tt. Actually, dbr (Diamond Back Racing) made some very nice retro frames and some say the axis tt is one of the best ti's from the era (didn't know at the time).

Another thing to factor in i guess is who made the frame. As suggested, orange were made in Taiwan but are well regarded despite it. The axis tt for example was hand made in the USA by Sandvik. Raleigh frames, especially the special products division variants are also worth a look. Not too expensive but range topping back when raleigh were on their game.

Prodigal Son":1pu38w39 said:
ishaw":1pu38w39 said:

What you really wanted was a titanium Merlin :D . NO paint on vibration damping titanium tubes.
In my eyes, a made by an artisan in the usa preferably steel and built w/ mid level shimano parts like LX..this is the right stuff. The names i look for are Salsa, Ibis, Fat Chance, Independent Fabrications, Ritchey, WTB Phoenix, Manitou not t mention the lesser known builders like Curtlo or Brew. IMO those are vintage MTB bikes. Taiwanese frames were copies.
You're looking in the wrong place and at second rate bikes there, you need to pop up north to Canada and find the real stuff.
:)

FluffyChicken":1dqnninp said:
Prodigal Son":1dqnninp said:
ishaw":1dqnninp said:

You're looking in the wrong place and at second rate bikes there, you need to pop up north to Canada and find the real stuff.
:)

Hahahaha. :cool: Right now my unicorn is a made in Connecticut Fat Chance Team Comp although i am pretty happy w/ my Sonoma County steel Ibis.

It does make me laugh when I see some 'Retro' bikes for sale, and the price they ask because it's 25 years old! Back in the day it was crap, nothing has changed, it's still crap imo! I'm not going to give examples here, as I don't want anybody crying! But here's my car comparison.

When I was a kid, you would had to have paid me to have been seen in an Austin Allegro! In fact, it would have probably broken down before we arrived at the given destination! You couldn't give these cars away! They were so bad, and the different shades of faeces colours they came in....oh my days! I saw one for sale the other day for £3k, that must have been a typo adding three extra zero's!

Somebody rightly said, "if you weren't riding these bikes back then, it really won't make much sense!" Would I pay £2k for a Klein? Hell no! They were vile back then, and in my 50 year old eyes, vile now! In fact back then, I think it was only the gay community that hankered after them? :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_135839.jpg
    IMG_20201123_135839.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 288

Latest posts

Back