Retro Kona frame sizing

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Something that's stopped me from every buying a retro Kona is the sizing, which I understand differs from the standard sizing of most other brands at the time. Being a lanky git, normally I'd ride a 20.5" to 22" frame (centre to centre). Which size should I be looking for in a 90s Kona?

The same size, Kona's are measured from centre of bb to top of seat tube and look smaller due to sloping top tube. The top tubes can be longer so worth checking that if reach is an issue, and means you can get away with smaller size if you like a more flickable frame.

Re:

Go for as big as you can find.
I’d always wanted one and found a nice Fire Mountain for £100 a few years ago. Was an 18.5” but centre to centre measurement was only 16.5”. I found it very short and was too hunched up over it. Sold it after a few rides.
Shame as it was really honest bike and my first u brake bike despite riding since 88.

Yes, the earlier, pre 92ish frames have shorter top tubes, after that they got a bit more stretched out.

Check out this chart, it is taken from the Kona catalog from 1997. It should give you a better idea of the sizes of their frames.

Attachments

• 97sizing.jpg
    97sizing.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 385
Wow, that looked a lot clearer when I downloaded it. Perhaps this detail will be of higher quality

Attachments

• 97sizingdetail.jpg
    97sizingdetail.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 355
Back