Retro E-Bike conversion.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

I'm considering adding an E-Bike kit to a 1988 Specialized Rockhopper (Blue) which is to be used as my daily commuter. As I'm office based I'm trying to not arrive at work all sweaty etc.

I know some of you have added E-bike kit's to your rides so can you help a brother out a little and pass on some advice please. I'm thinking of a front wheel kit at the moment as they seem the simples to fit and maintain. I have been told that throttles are illegal in the UK but I don't really care :) I'll be having a throttle.

I have been considering this kit but minus the lights and battery as I'd like to buy a better quality battery myself:

https://kirbebike.com/products/250w-ebike-conversion-kit

Thanks in advance as ever.

Trebz

Last edited:
My only advice is fit good brakes, if you're going for rim brakes consider V-brakes or Maguras, and get a good wheelset with decent brake tracks, something built for off road touring or tandems.

Agreed. Fit good brakes, and plan for slowing down - especially in wet & steep hills (if any). The bikes are a lot heavier with conversion kits. They can accelerate really quickly downhill.

You don't have to use their brake levers with the auto-cut off. I've never had an issue on ebikes where I've used my own levers e.g to run hydraulic disc brakes.

Front wheel systems are easiest to fit - and in practice despite being regarded as less efficient, won't make much difference. The only issue I have with my commuter electric bike with a front wheel system is loss of grip going up steep hills in the wet. It'll feel like the front wheel is skidding. Leaning over the front handlebars to keep the wheel down works even on 14% climbs with road tyres in the wet.

I would consider including the lights. My commuter ebike has them, and blimey it's nice knowing you've always got fully charged lights that you don't have take on/off as well as having the controls integrated into the ebike controls.

Throttles are only illegal on bikes built after 2015(?). Prior to that they were legal. Maybe you are posting this from 2014...

Can be tempting to max out on capacity. But bigger batteries weigh and cost more while being more bulky. Consider reinforcing the mounting system with duct tape, zip ties etc. Bottom cage mounts weren't designed to hold several kgs of battery. You want enough capacity to comfortably do the commute (maybe there and back), plus a bit extra to allow for age related decline of battery capacity. Buying enough capacity to last a week etc is just wasting money.

Conversion can become somewhat addictive. I draw the line at riding an ebike when I go out mountain biking with friends (will occasionally do solo trips). I think it pretty unlikely I will go back to commuting on a non-ebike for the reasons you suggest, but also the nature of the place I live and the work I do means I'm usually laden up with shopping, going up steep hills in windy and rainy weather late at night. . An ebike makes it less demoralising.

Last edited:
Hill, what hills..
Steepest it will get for him is a shallow road flyover.

Only as I know where it will go,

As a side, any kit recommendations?

Last edited:
Swytch seem to be the best-rated kits and are one of the few ones where you can have some confidence in a warranty. Most of the rest seem to be bits assembled into kits by small players. Some may be good, but it's hard to know.
I do business in electronics in China and personally wouldn't touch the AliExpress stuff with a bargepole. There is too much energy stored in a battery to cut corners.

Just to confirm, this is for a road only commuter bike to cover a 4 mile journey to work. As I'm an office worker I need to arrive in a non sweaty and out of breath condition hehe.

Basically you want an electric scooter, why not get a nice Tongsheng with Torqsensor.
4 miles is a piece of piss and you're not going to sweat like a pig on setting 3 and it still takes a bit of effort.
My 2 p

Basically you want an electric scooter, why not get a nice Tongsheng with Torqsensor.
4 miles is a piece of piss and you're not going to sweat like a pig on setting 3 and it still takes a bit of effort.
My 2 p

I have my heart set on a 26" front wheel kit for my old Rockhopper to be honest. I'm wanting something very simple to fit and maintain. Do you know of any quality front wheel kits?

Nah, I only do midmotor conversions, they are the best option/ride for a bike.
Like I said, you're looking for a scooter, don't know anything about them.

I did see a bloke on a Dutch Grannybike with 4 batteries and a rear +front wheel engine.
He did close to 1 million KM an hour without breaking a sweat :LOL:

Attachments

• Gazelle_Omafahrrad_series_-2[1].jpg
    Gazelle_Omafahrrad_series_-2[1].jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 15
Back