Retro Bike Shopping

74 Norco Dirt Master View attachment 651548
You're welcome
Look at that, eh?!
Looks like a great buy. I have a steel Hardrock, easy bikes to like, can be modified to many ends
He just let me know there's apparently "shifting problems". Should be able to get it for much cheaper, if that's all that's wrong w/it. Not sure it would be worth taking to a bike shop for that repair, though. Maybe worth it. I've only worked on our cars!

Look at that, eh?!

He just let me know there's apparently "shifting problems". Should be able to get it for much cheaper, if that's all that's wrong w/it. Not sure it would be worth taking to a bike shop for that repair, though. Maybe worth it. I've only worked on our cars!
Shifting problems are probably due to worn out cables and housing, just needs replacing and then the derailleur adjusted, good as new. Fairly easy to do yourself, plenty of youtube videos I'm sure

Wrenching old bikes is fun, but a lot comes down to your knowledge of different standards (or ability to bodge) and having the right tooling (or ability to improvise).
The old clunker route is cheap - get a decent old bike for peanuts, service, ride, replace with something else.
Getting the creme de la creme of old bikes can be quite expensive. A top of the line old steel frameset can set you back as much as a modern chinercarbon bought during sales. Sometimes you find a bargain, but it's quite rare. I keep reading stories of people finding tange prestige frames at the tip, nothing like this has ever happened to me.
Doing period-correct restorations is a different level of madness and can become a very expensive hobby.

Wrenching old bikes is fun, but a lot comes down to your knowledge of different standards (or ability to bodge) and having the right tooling (or ability to improvise).
The old clunker route is cheap - get a decent old bike for peanuts, service, ride, replace with something else.
Getting the creme de la creme of old bikes can be quite expensive. A top of the line old steel frameset can set you back as much as a modern chinercarbon bought during sales. Sometimes you find a bargain, but it's quite rare. I keep reading stories of people finding tange prestige frames at the tip, nothing like this has ever happened to me.
Doing period-correct restorations is a different level of madness and can become a very expensive hobby.
I like the idea of going back in time! Riding something that others - and the culture - have passed by, interests me. It's why I like older acoustic guitars for the same reason. And old cars - though, after four kids, that "buzz" had to be put on hold! Heck, I even like older sweaters!

The two Rockhopper's I have my eye on, and the Kuwhara's, seem to be the finalist. Would love to find a 800-900 series Trek from the same era, though. But they seem a little more expensive than the others two makes I've mentioned here. I also plan on my first ever road bike I'll share w/my son. He, too, wants something "retro". Cool kid! My wife prefers "brand new". We're still a happy couple, with a happy family! ;)

Any of those bike would rock. I run a Giant 970 ATX full sus BUT I’ve ditched the long reach stem and flat bars for…. brace yourself…. BMX bars. Stupid you say, no I say, when you stand it next to a modern mountain bike the BB seat and handle bar grips are all in the same approximate position. The long n low position of 80’s bikes was always too front heavy for my liking. Here’s a video of it around Cannock Follow the dog. Admittedly I avoid rock gardens but then I’m old and feeble. BMX bars on old mtbs is the future.

Back