Restoring crumbling tyre sidewalls

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Before I get in to this I’ll make clear this is 100% for garage queen purposes and not with any intention of ever riding the tyres!

I’ve got a pair of early 1980s IRC Racer X-1 which have great treads but the sidewalls have almost completely crumbled away to the threads with ageing. I could just throw them away but they are super rare, you don’t really see any for sale and once they’re gone that’s it. They are the original tyres from my Araya Muddy Fox which currently has Racer X Pro which aren’t quite the same. Everything seems to be intact no broken threads just the rubber (if that’s what it is) has crumbled and left the sidewalls.

I’ve had a search on here and found lots about cleaning/rejuvenating but nothing about replacing the rubber/gum whatever it is. Most enquiries seem to start with people lambasting the OP for a dangerous idea - again this is not for riding on just to preserve something. The only info or examples of someone attempting this are on BMX museum. I thought I may find more info/attempts on BMX forums as these type of tyres are already much older than most MTB tyres so may have already tried something but not much showed up other than others also trying to find a way to do it.

Has anyone tried this/got any information or tips? I figure I can have a go but want to try and gather information before I do so. In the link below they use liquid rubber sealant https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flex-Liquid-Large-Ounce-Black/dp/B01KYDOHB0

https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=749198&p=1

Bonus on page 4 of the link is a very early GT Timberline which is the subject the OP tries this method on.

My tyres -

589D7167-F9C7-4676-A12E-78396646917B.jpeg

I cant add much, but give it ago. The bit that crumbles away isnt heavily structural, more a protection of the cotton, so maybe systematic in its load bearing but you can't do any harm.

Reading the product description you may well be able to ride them again!?

I've used that exact product albeit black on flat roof temporary bodging...works surprisingly well!
If your tyres are cotton carcass I'm afraid it will not restore to ride...you'd be a fool to think so!
Once the cotton is open to the elements it'll absorb moisture...moisture rots cotton I'm afraid!
It's already had a hard time with UV 🤨.don't forget fluorescent lighting is not friendly on tan/gum/skinwall tyres either!

However as a show queen wall hanger fix that clear version looks the bomb!
I see a roaring trade in nos tyres coming soon...it'll be a buyer's market! 😂

I've used that exact product albeit black on flat roof temporary bodging...works surprisingly well!
If your tyres are cotton carcass I'm afraid it will not restore to ride...you'd be a fool to think so!
Once the cotton is open to the elements it'll absorb moisture...moisture rots cotton I'm afraid!
It's already had a hard time with UV 🤨.don't forget fluorescent lighting is not friendly on tan/gum/skinwall tyres either!

However as a show queen wall hanger fix that clear version looks the bomb!
I see a roaring trade in nos tyres coming soon...it'll be a buyer's market! 😂
Definitely thinking museum not downhill racing!

I’ll give it a few days and see if there are any good ideas before I buy anything. I’ve chucked the tyres in the washing machine for now.

Definitely thinking museum not downhill racing!

I’ll give it a few days and see if there are any good ideas before I buy anything. I’ve chucked the tyres in the washing machine for now.
Downhill! You'll get to the bottom alright in a fashion 🤣
I doubt you'll find anything better than that sealant....I'm impressed..I'm definitely bagging that idea for any ropey rollers I get...thanks for posting 👍

Back