Restored Raleigh Triathlon, Reynolds 531, Shimano 105, 1987

Stephen48

Retro Newbie
Hi,

Not sure if I've put this in the correct forum for finished bike restoration (also posted in Retro Classic Road under the same title) as I'm new here as this was my first vintage bike restoration project, a Raleigh Triathlon road bike. Original owner from new when purchased in 1987 from Bikes & Sports, Hinckley. Reynolds 531 double butted main tubes and forks. With Shimano 105 (1050) groupset. I tried to keep it all original apart from replacing the white coloured aero brake hoods as they had perished. The tires although not original they are fitting for the bike as they are 30 plus years old. Not sure if the Cinelli handle bar tape is original. The frame was stripped down with all components disassembled into their component parts before been cleaned and polished before re-assembly, greased and re-attached to the frame. Original outer cables cleaned and flushed with GT85 and new inner brake and gear cables installed. The only parts I couldn't remove was the original cassette, as unsure on the tool required. So just cleaned it up and sprayed GT85 inside the workings so running smooth. Oh and both headset cups wouldn't come out with the headset removal tool.

IMG_E4372.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately the frame is way too big for me and I didn't want to lower the seat and then put it back to the height shown in the pictures (as the buyer was over 6' tall) with fear of marking the polished seat post. But the seller told me it feels nice and taut with a comfortable position. I did even encourage him to try it a couple of times to be sure as I couldn't ride it. I guess it must of ridden just as it did when it was brand new out of the retail shop as it had been stripped down to every nut and bolt other than the cassette. Oh and I didn't re-build the wheels just checked and adjusted wheel so nice and true.

IMG_E4378.JPG IMG_E4377.JPG IMG_E4376.JPG IMG_E4375.JPG IMG_E4374.JPG IMG_4338.JPG IMG_4350.JPG IMG_4330.JPG IMG_4331.JPG IMG_4361.JPG

Welcome to the forum – you've definitely posted this in the right place, and that's a lovely cleaned-up restoration - thanks for posting. That's the first time I've seen the actual groupset name on a frame, which is interesting. I guess that's the sort of thing Raleigh were more likely to do than other manufacturers. I'm not sure I'd trust 30 year-old tyres myself, but then if you're not keeping the bike yourself, I guess there's no point changing them anyway...

Thank you for your compliment and letting me know I've posted this in the correct place as I've also listed it in the classic road forum. I agree about not trusting over 30 year old tyres as they had cracks on the outer wall, loose threads of material and had lost all flexibility in the side walls as they was difficult to get back on the rims even with leaving the tyres out in the sun, a bowl of hot water, washing up liquid and zip ties. The buyer had purchased the bike aware of the age of the tyres and had inspected them in person.

I think if I was to of taken the project to the next level or if I had kept the bike to use myself, as well as the tyres I would of replaced the following original parts :- toe straps, chain, cup and cone with a sealed cartridge. Re-built the original wheels with stainless steel spokes. Purchased the old style tool to remove the cassette and replace with a hyperglide cassette. Also replaced the Shimano 105 decals for the brake levers, brake calipers, gear levers crank arms and chain stays. But would I of recouped this expense in the value of the bike?

Last edited:
To keep it all retro included the Raleigh lightweights brochure and the guide you would of had when the bike was new. Also had a Shimano brochure from the same era to go with the bike.

IMG_4224.JPG IMG_E4288.JPG

Beautifully restored bike.
I have the same frame at home. A few days ago, measured the rear hub spacing (without the wheel installed) at 128.5mm.
It is not a very popular size, but it was used at some point on several bike frames. Not sure if Raleigh did it.
I was wondering, what rear hub spacing is on your frame. 126mm, 130mm, or maybe 128.5mm?

Latest posts

Back