Restored Raleigh Triathlon, Reynolds 531, Shimano 105, 1987

Stephen48

Retro Newbie
Hi,

Not sure if I've put this in the correct forum for finished bike restoration (also posted in Reader's Road Bikes under the same title) as I'm new here as this was my first vintage bike restoration project, a Raleigh Triathlon road bike. Original owner from new when purchased in 1987 from Bikes & Sports, Hinckley. Reynolds 531 double butted main tubes and forks. With Shimano 105 (1050) groupset. I tried to keep it all original apart from replacing the white coloured aero brake hoods as they had perished. The tires although not original they are fitting for the bike as they are 30 plus years old. Not sure if the Cinelli handle bar tape is original. The frame was stripped down with all components disassembled into their component parts before been cleaned and polished before re-assembly, greased and re-attached to the frame. Original outer cables cleaned and flushed with GT85 and new inner brake and gear cables installed. The only parts I couldn't remove was the original cassette, as unsure on the tool required. So just cleaned it up and sprayed GT85 inside the workings so running smooth. Oh and both headset cups wouldn't come out with the headset removal tool.

IMG_E4372.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for your compliment.

Unfortunately the frame is way too big for me and I didn't want to lower the seat and then put it back to the height shown in the pictures (as the buyer was over 6' tall) with fear of marking the polished seat post. But the seller told me it feels nice and taut with a comfortable position. I did even encourage him to try it a couple of times to be sure as I couldn't ride it. I guess it must of ridden just as it did when it was brand new out of the retail shop as it had been stripped down to every nut and bolt other than the cassette. Oh and I didn't re-build the wheels just checked and adjusted wheel so nice and true.

IMG_E4375.JPG IMG_E4376.JPG IMG_E4377.JPG IMG_E4374.JPG IMG_4337.JPG IMG_4350.JPG IMG_4331.JPG IMG_4330.JPG IMG_E4378.JPG IMG_4361.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job.
One question, where did you get the replacement brake hoods? Same levers as mine and I need new hoods too

Hi,

Thank you for your compliment and yes I can understand your frustration as the Shimano 105 (1051) aero brake hoods in white in new or even in a good condition are hard to find. The black replacement hoods are genuine Shimano 105 1055 purchased from Shimano many years ago. I found they wouldn't quite fit flush on the front edge between the hard plastic and the rubber as can bee seen on the picture below. So I did put a single drop of gorilla glue (the gel one with the green lid as its has a thicker consistency so less chance of dripping everywhere, but I did also mask off the hoods and lever just incase). But other than that I found them a good fit. Final result shown in the above picture. After removing the old hoods I cleaned the metal of any sticky residue and applied isopropyl alcohol both on to the metal and inside the new hoods to act as a lubricant as evaporates and leaves no residue like oil or grease would.

Hope thats helps

new brake hoods.jpeg hoods compare.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, I've been considering a retro bike and the Raleigh Triathlon 1987 was my first proper bike. However I'm confused as to the frame colour. I remember it been white and not yellow. Was it also sold in white?

Back