Request for info about MTB frames to suit 1 1/4" steerer diameter forks?

EccentricRich

Dirt Disciple
Hello All

Back in the 90s I had a Muddy Fox Alu Pro fitted with lovely rigid steel forks with a 1 1/4" diameter steerer. Unfortunately I cracked the frame and rather than getting it repaired I took it to the local tip, (and all these years later I'm still irritated with myself for not keeping the frame!).

I still have the forks and I'm on the lookout for a 90s MTB frame to fit them to. My question for the forum is please can anyone advise me on which frames / manufacturers made frames to suit 1 1/4" forks back in the day? Alternatively, if anyone reading this has a Muddy Fox Alu Pro frame size large to sell I'll be delighted to hear from you.

Thanks,

Richard

Most early 90s Alu frames.
Most popular in UK would be Orange Aluminium and Elite frames. Muddy fox of course and many others.

Steerer tube length will dictate which size frames you can use.

There are XT headsets on ebay, if you can't find anything more interesting.

Are the forks anything interesting?

I had a German Shogun for a while with a 1 1/4 inch steerer. The frames can still be had NOS in Germany for under 80 Euro, sometimes a lot less if you wait it our on ebay. It was light and a lot of fun, and the frame had a lot in common with the Fisher AL1, especially the riveted cable guides. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if they were made by the same factory, then gave up and just rode it.

Latest posts

Back