Replacing cup & cone BB with sealed. But which?

sefton1275gt

Dirt Disciple
I was going to service my new (old) Harry hall bike and Dawes galaxy cup and cone BB’s.

But then I read I could replace them with sealed units.

But there seem to be countless options.

Anyone know which I should got for ( for durability and reliability)

Thankyou

Shimano UN55 are still available new e.g. at St John St Cycles in 115 and 127mm lengths (though I don't think they are still manufactured) and strike the price/durability/quality/weight balance well. Though I expect the Tange units and others are good too, I've just not tried them.

Should be a 68mm shell or thereabouts, measure your spindle end to end. I use what RetroDavy uses and Tange. Some cheap sealed units are not very good or hard wearing.

+1.

Sealed BB's from any recognised name will serve you well. Any sealed BB from a boutique company , like Royce and Phil Wood, will serve you well.
Any sealed BB from ebay, that is very cheap, will very probably not serve you well unless you replace the bearings, before you install it.
Also; don't be tempted by the cheap titanium BB's as not only will the bearings be rubbish, but the axle might snap, too!

Genetic Karyotype have worked well for me (two off road winters on my singlespeed). The Token ones are OK but have a water trap. Shimano UN70/71/72 off eBay or here secondhand are probably the best for value.

I was going to service my new (old) Harry hall bike and Dawes galaxy cup and cone BB’s.

But then I read I could replace them with sealed units.

But there seem to be countless options.

Anyone know which I should got for ( for durability and reliability)

Thankyou
JSO not ISO unless the Hall has a Campagnolo cranks

Usually use UN55 but the alloy cup Neco ones seem to last well too. I got 11k miles out of my last one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back