Repeated inner tube punctures. Continental & Halfords. Mavic & Araya rims.

So, hows it happening on both wheels? Unless your swapping one manky rim tape between the two?........

Agreed! Why is it happening on both Mavics and not the Araya? (haven’t swapped the rim tape).

So this afternoon I up-ended the Hardrock, removed the tyre from the Araya, and compared the valve holes.
1) the Mavics have a box section construction, thin metal is used and the strength is obtained from the box section.
2) the Araya is not box section, so the strength comes from using a much thicker alloy.

The tyres seem to slide a bit on the rim, over a period of time. You can tell this with Schraders since the valve stem sometimes ends up at an angle to the rim (instead of being vertical).

So perhaps, occasionally, the thinner metal digs into the side of the valve stem?
I don’t know, it’s just a theory … I haven’t had a puncture on the Araya rim in around 15 years!🤞 (which now means I’m heading for one!)

Im with woz....if its not the valve area of the tube being trapped ny the tyre on install, it can only be too little pressure.....

There is no other common denominator....

Im with woz....if its not the valve area of the tube being trapped ny the tyre on install, it can only be too little pressure.....

There is no other common denominator....
Could just be random...😄
Could just be dodgy tubes 😂
Shouldn't laugh .....my 2 1/2 year run of no punctures ended recently....took my nice new tyre with it too..😠

It looks a lot like it is rupturing through the hole for the valve. I had this happen when using presta valves in shrader rims with a collar on the valve stem. Had 2 punctures on one ride in the same place as you. I solved it by cutting an old piece of tyre sidewall, punched a hole smaller than the valve in it and placed that over the valve hole inside the rim. It stopped the rubber bulging out.

Interesting...

Been running presta tubes in schrader drilled RM-20 rims (with the lil' adapter) on the Bontrager, and have been plagued with little pinch flats on rides, both front and rear.

I wonder if the two are now connected...

I'm off to check all my old tubes around the valves, and cut up some old tires and tubes!

I'm also going to remember to use rim tape without pre-cut holes moving forward.

And dust everything down with talc now!

Lots of good intel and advice in here fella's. Thanks!

I'm a bit of a tart how valves go through holes...😆
Made some bell shaped bits for mine all smooth and rounded that pinch over the top of the rim tape...details..🙄

Didn't stop a teeny shard of glass taking a super accurate shot at severing one of the few carcass reinforcements in the tyre casing though...😂

IMG_20220819_233640_420.jpg

Back