Repeated inner tube punctures. Continental & Halfords. Mavic & Araya rims.

Usually caused by the inner tube moving around the inside by the tyre under braking, also caused by a rough burr on the inside of the valve hole on the rim.

Check the valve hole on the rim for rough edges, if still happening some talc inside the tyre stops the tyre gripping the inner tube and dragging it round while braking.
+1 to that.
Talc (or other powder of your choice) should fix it.
And don't leave the valve lock ring done up really tight once the tube is pumped up.

Many thanks both for your feedback. 👍
+1 to that.
Talc (or other powder of your choice) should fix it.
And don't leave the valve lock ring done up really tight once the tube is pumped up.
Here’s a pic of the valve lock ring, it has a lip in it, for fitting to the schrader-size hole.
1660895763409.jpeg

And here’s a pic of the inside valve hole on the rim.
1660895882527.jpeg

Many thanks both for your feedback. 👍

Here’s a pic of the valve lock ring, it has a lip in it, for fitting to the schrader-size hole.
View attachment 653287

And here’s a pic of the inside valve hole on the rim.
View attachment 653288
There it is.....exposed valve hole of the rim ...it's not covered by the rim tape....pop! Bet there's a sharp edge or a burr a little bit of sandpaper take the burr of so it feels super smooth and it'll be fine.

Thanks Mickey, I’ll have a go at that.
Perhaps I’ll need to get a new rim tape, since this one looks stretched..

Thanks Mickey, I’ll have a go at that.
Perhaps I’ll need to get a new rim tape, since this one looks stretched..
A new one won't do any harm,if it's the type without a hole.... so you have to make it.... make it slightly smaller than the valve....that way when you push the valve through it protects it from the rim hole.

Rim tape looks shagged. De burr and new tape should fix it.

If using Presta, you could also try putting one locking washer on first on the inside of the rim, then another on the outside.

Seem to remember doing this trick on a beater bike many moons ago.

Thanks Woz, new tape and de-burr definitely on the list.
I tried the lock washer trick ‘bout 6 months ago, one on the inside and one on the outside, but the inner tube still failed. And the LBS gave it a firm thumbs-down.☹️
That’s why my suspicions went towards the tyre shifting backwards and forwards on the rim (under braking/ascent), taking the inner tube with it, and stressing the valve/tube joint. I dunno! :)

Back