Removing Powder Coat from a Crank?

Midorimage

Old School Hero
I might buy a powder coated crank that has its finish kind of beat up. I would like to remove the powder coat by hand. What is the best way to do this?

--Michael

something like a gasket remover is less toxic and equally effective...wurths gasket remover works okay on powder coat

Paint stripper was recommended to me recently (the green canned Nitromors)........and was completely useless! I was having some springs re-powder coated so may not be in the same position as you, but the powder coaters bead blasted them before re- coating. I'd resorted to scratching it off with a scalpel and then sanding with production paper.

I've used something called Aircraft Stripper. It’s a brush-on paint stripper that looks like snot, and you can get it at your local automotive paint store. Just brush it on and wait until it reacts, and then scrub it off while rinsing it with a garden hose. I did this on an aluminum frame that had a 3-phase powdercoat (metallic silver + candy color + clearcoat), and it took about 4 applications to do the job, not to mention some time peeling up remnants with my fingernail, but the frame was completely unharmed (the reason I stripped it was because the previous owner had stuck a bunch of goofy stickers on it that were impossible to remove otherwise). It’s a very messy, smelly job, and it needs to be done outdoors on a warm/hot day (it's not very effective on a cold day).

Back