Removing a very rusted stem and headset nut

bjellys

Retro Guru
I have just acquired 2 Muddyfox Couriers 1986 & 1987 one had the stem seized in so I soaked with Plus Gas to release it .After removing the wedge bolt I tried twisting the stem with no luck. I then went on to release the headset nuts just to confirm that they moved which they didn't so I cut the with an angle grinder so I could then turn them this was successful. So I then went on to start hitting the alloy part of the stem upwards which resulted in the alloy part coming off I then was able to remove the forks from the frame.
As a last resort I took the forks to a local metal fabricating workshop and got a piece scrap steel bar welded onto the stem.
When I got home I put the forks into my vice horizontally with the crown race against the edge then hit the welded bar with a hammer a number of times them mounted the forks vertically in the vice by clamping the welded bar I then used a long piece of wood to lever the most solid part of the fork from side to side which was a complete success.

Attachments

• headset.jpg
    headset.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 20
  • stem1.jpg
    stem1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 21
  • stem twist.jpg
    stem twist.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 19
  • stem2.jpg
    stem2.jpg