Regina Sport single-speed build

Tel":26vjgb01 said:
No markings on the bottom bracket at all?
The ideal spanner is a proper fixed cup spanner which is flat and encircles the whole cup. On really stuck cups I reinsert the adjustable up put the spanner on then a piece of wood across the spanner and clamp it all in place then I can give it a good whack with a mallet. Alternatively I have used a massive monkey wrench in the past too with good success, have to be very careful to avoid paint damage though.

I’d defo look for a 22.0mm stem rather than modify a standard one

Theres a couple of 22.0mm stems on ebay so not a problem there. But no markings visible on the BB at all. I'll have a look for the right tool I guess, the problem is I'm feared of applying too much mechanical pressure in case its not a left hand thread, and I really dont want to start using heat. Going to stick some penetrating oil and leave it overnight, and resume the attack tomorrow :)

If the stem is 22.0mm it is fairly safe to assume the bb will be more likely french threaded than English. Good luck!

If you have an unlaced British hub, 1.37 x 24tpi, try (gently) threading this into LHS of bb shell. If it's a good fit, you know sizing. Go gently! If it's french it won't want to know..... This is best done using steel hub.

If you have access to a vice with good condition steel jaws, place the fixed BB cup into the jaws and use the frame for leverage to unscrew the cup. Best determine first if the BB is British, French or Swiss so you know which way to unscrew.....

I'm not a pro but did once have a summer holiday job in a bike shop. Good days :)

Good luck with the build.

Ghastlyrabbitfat":20uq9chq said:
If you have an unlaced British hub, 1.37 x 24tpi, try (gently) threading this into LHS of bb shell. If it's a good fit, you know sizing. Go gently! If it's french it won't want to know..... This is best done using steel hub.

If you have access to a vice with good condition steel jaws, place the fixed BB cup into the jaws and use the frame for leverage to unscrew the cup. Best determine first if the BB is British, French or Swiss so you know which way to unscrew.....

I'm not a pro but did once have a summer holiday job in a bike shop. Good days :)

Good luck with the build.

Cheers, I really should have thought of the vice trick! I do have access to a vice at work (work in a dockyard :) ), but like you say it would be good to know which way to turn it....

Re:

Well, after nearly 24hrs of penetrating oil, the BB fixed cup is still very much fixed.

As I have no desire to strip threads or crack the BB shell it can stay right where it is! I've ordered to replacement bearing cages to refit. I'd have done loose bearings had both cups come out but I figure that cages will be easier with one race still in the bike.

My loose bearings turned up for the headset so thats all reassembled. A tiny bit of a tight spot but its with the bars facing almost 180 degrees out so I'm not too worried. Feels fairly smooth through the rest of the travel.

I also noticed that the serrated lock washer in the headset has what looks like "BFG-The Forez" etched into it? the E and Z might be wrong as its difficult to make out, and there is a serial number etched onto the BB that was under the cable guide, but I forgot to write it down :roll:

Caged bearings will be easier, loose wouldn’t have been too hard though. Anyway I think you’ve done the right thing, once it’s altogether and your riding along it’ll all be good. So that’s the headset and bb sorted pretty much, what’s next!?

Re:

I'm watching a stem and seatpost on ebay so they'll be next.

I'm probably going to go with drop bars rather than bullhorns, so I'll get a set of those too. The rest of it will be cash dependant

March - brakes, levers, saddle, crankset and cables etc

April - wheels and tyres

With being away for work for a couple of courses and then heading up to Inverness last weekend to run the half marathon, I haven't made a great deal of progress.

Managed to grab a couple of hours this afternoon though to get a couple of bits done.

The BB is now reassembled with new bearings. I left the fixed race in rather than damage something forcing it out, and (for ease) fitted new caged bearings on reassembly. Nice and easy :)

I bought a 22.0mm stem on ebay which arrived yesterday. Its a little shorter than I would have liked but there is precious little choice in this size so I've decided that this will do for now. It polished up quite nicely but for some reason didn't want to go into the head tube any further than this.

I also bought a seat post in a 25.8mm size after remeasuring. It turns out I should have remeasured it a third time and bought a 25.6mm. It went in a bit and then started to get a bit tight. In my haste (proper rookie move!) I pushed it in further rather than pulling it straight back out and got proper wedged, to the point where it need twisting and pulling with two hands to remove it. Here it is now:

I wonder if I'll be able to get a refund ;) I'm going to try and either sand it down a little, or maybe even get it on a lathe at work and skim it. Its mine for keeps now anyway so might as well!

The other bit I tried was to fit the front wheel off my other road bike to see how it looked. The fork dropouts are 98mm by Vernier, however the 100mm hub went in with no issues and spins true. I'm not very familiar with old bike sizes, but am guessing a french bike would always have been 700c rather than 27"x1.25"? Plenty of clearance with a 25C tyre on this wheel anyway. Does this look right?

Jim.

Back