Reducing the fleet help needed

Thanks for the feedback, it will all be taken into consideration.

The RTS (in 2 guise) was my first proper mountain bike and what found me here looking for advice on repairing it. A nos team frame cane my way and it's a bike I'll hang onto for as long as possible, with a spares stash to help with that.

The DBR has sentimental value not because I've owned it since new, but it was a troublesome build at a time I could have done without it but I got through it and a recent rebuild has made me even happier with it.

Road bike is a keeper as it's a very good one (imho) and fairly current (di2) and I want to use it to get fitter and enthuse me to ride off road when fitness levels increase.

The scion I've ridden more than most recently and us a pretty high end build and the only steel frame I have.

The airnimal may be useful again for commuting when I find employment, plus I've sunk some money into making it a very silly commuter, wearing xtr m970, hope and custom pace rc24s thanks to Tim at fork English.

The rest are just nice bikes, of which I have too many, so maybe they should all go aside from my estay project.

As for which would be expensive to replace, that's why I'm in two minds about some of them. It's hard and expensive to find a good sts, but will I ever use them as intended? Possibly not.

The litespeed is about as mint as you'll find and did cost me a lot, when I had no children, a job and disposable income. No idea what it's worth and how hard it would be to replace later, I just feel I have almost built a few amps and failed before finishing and I should do one day.

The nuke proof is pretty unique but does need work, so maybe better off letting someone who has the time and skill to do it justice?

The amp b5 was to be a yellower than a yellow thing build for a bit of fun, but I guess it doesn't hold any real meaning for me.

If I were to clear out the above, it would also free up a couple of mint m952 groupsets, an xc pro groupset, a couple of xt groupsets and plenty of wheels and forks.

I did toy with the idea of keeping all the ti ones, plus the RTS and the scion and roadie and airnimal. But with the estay too, that would still leave 8, and my wife was none too impressed when I said I wanted to keep 7???

Re:

ishaw":30t58kp2 said:
Not having a job at the moment plus future plans on converting the garage into inside space means my collection must reduce so it can fit into a shed.

You just need a shed the same size, (or larger than) your garage. Simples.

From what you say, the real issue is one of space. Would your issue be (partially) resolved by disassembling the non riders that you want to keep and keeping them as frames rather than full bikes?

Minifreak":25666su1 said:
I'd be interested in the XC Pro group set if you ever get rid. Something I've never tried.
Same here. Much is nos too. Not sure what direction to go in for the estay project. Lop off the canti mounts and retro-mod it, or go a bit more prior which us where this might come in handy. That said I was potentially going to use pace suspension or rigid which won't be good with canti brakes.

I feel another help me decide on something thread coming on.

Re: Re:

Twister":12ijffel said:
ishaw":12ijffel said:
Not having a job at the moment plus future plans on converting the garage into inside space means my collection must reduce so it can fit into a shed.

You just need a shed the same size, (or larger than) your garage. Simples.

From what you say, the real issue is one of space. Would your issue be (partially) resolved by disassembling the non riders that you want to keep and keeping them as frames rather than full bikes?
It's an option but I'm also getting to the point where the number of bikes owned is kind of pointless if they aren't ridden and I should get the collection down to a much smaller size and ride what I keep.

Whilst it's kind of a nice position to be in, tripping over boxes of nice parts and bemoaning space being taken up by nice bikes, I think I've lost a bit of passion for building as a result and need to downsize to get it back.

I won't lie that any money earned as a result of selling would come in handy due to the lack of income at the moment too.

Re: Re:

ishaw":ekxtfr0g said:
It's an option but I'm also getting to the point where the number of bikes owned is kind of pointless if they aren't ridden and I should get the collection down to a much smaller size and ride what I keep.

Whilst it's kind of a nice position to be in, tripping over boxes of nice parts and bemoaning space being taken up by nice bikes, I think I've lost a bit of passion for building as a result and need to downsize to get it back.

This is the time to ride the bikes that are finished and use the relative enjoyment of the riding to help the decision making process.

Essentially, this is what you've already done with the DBR and the Dynatech.

Keep one hard tail and one fs, maybe keep the road bike as well if you honestly think you'll ever get round to riding it. Sell everything else. I suspect you'll find it liberating and you'll also get out more, rather than procrastinating over which bike to take and then after a couple of hours think "f*** it, I'll just tinker with one of the builds instead." I've been there myself and I'm sure many here have been too...

Getting back to which to keep and sell, why you would want two STS's or two Amp based frames is beyond me. Same goes for having more than one ti frame if they're not being ridden. Ditch the commuter bike as well. It might fit easily in the back of a car but every bike will do that if you take the front wheel off.

You should attack your problems efficiently. Think about them. Will solving one problem help you with the other one?

Is it a problem to have many bikes? Not really. Would selling some of them help with anything else? No? Don't waste you time then. :D

Is it a problem to have no job? Definitely. Would it help you to have a job? Obvious.

Don't sell you bikes, get a job!

:LOL:

(yea I know. Easyly said from the distance...)

Good luck!

Indeed.

It is both a problem not having a job, and having too many bikes and bits that will cause problems further down the line when we start the garage conversion.
Yes, having lots of nice things is, well nice, but there are more important things in life, and bikes are getting in the way of some of them currently, and will continue to do so.

I didn't feel as bad as I thought I would when I looked at Fudds post. Maybe a more aggressive cull is possible, keeping the RTS, DBR, Scion, Roadie and Commuter (it is more than just a folding bike, rides like a real bike, looks like a mini trimble), and use the eStay project for pootling around with the family once it is done?

Re:

You should turn the strategy the other way around. If you have 10 bikes, it's way easier to pick one to go than which ones to keep.

Then, only with 9 bikes, pick again your least favourite. And so on...

Having less bikes helps to keep them all in good condition rather than half finished or in boxes...

Back