Recommendations for a 700 x 30mm winter tyre a la Gatorskins?

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently collected a road bike that I couldn't resist, with the aim of setting it up as my winter bike. It's currently got 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons on it which are nice (I might even pinch them for my summer bike actually) but I'd like to go a bit wider if I can and I think I should have just enough clearance for a 30mm front and rear. After riding 32s for a while last winter I think 30s are the sweet spot for me in any case. I don't want really a tyre that will totally kill the ride of a nice light bike, but I want something fairly robust for the winter. I'd probably be looking at something like Conti Gatorskins, only I don't think they don't come in 30mm. Any suggestions? I'd prefer folding just for the weight saving, can do tubeless or tubed. It'll be for mostly dryish conditions.

Cheers!

Not sure if they come in 30mm but the Panaracer Gravel Kings I had were great tyres that gave up very little to road tyres.

I have found that Continental come in all sorts of sizes other than the size on the casing - some come up large, some come up small. I’d second hamster - some 32s are 30....get out the vernier....

Cheers! I've had some Panaracer T-Serv and Pasela in 32s in the past that did come up a bit small I reckon. They would probably be ok (they're a bit slow but grippy for the winter) though the sidewalls on the Paselas in particular weren't that robust. It's possible the 4 Seasons are good enough in that respect but I would like to try a little wider.
I also found that new, the folding Panaracers I bought new were an absolute pain to get on the rims and I wouldn't want to have to do that out on the road in winter if I punctured - though maybe I could try a used pair that might have stretched a bit.

Back