Recommend me a Vintage Campag group

torqueless":ldqqz6w1 said:
Afaik, you could take any of the discrete pieces of metal that make up a 'Nuovo' component and transfer them to a 'Super' component without dimensional/tolerance issues, and vice versa.

Correct. I have a 'Super Nuovo' rear mech made up from various parts taken from worn mechs. I had to make up some new 'rivets' to hold it all together with the help of my lathe and rod taken from an old aluminium bottle cage. I found it easier to make them in 'halves' and tap them in from each side rather than one full length one.

That's a smart looking Viner, a bit later than mine but 100% the real deal :). I guess the only thing I would do would be to put on a NR / SR rear mech (the pressed steel cage stands out a bit) , drill a few holes in the chainring and get pedaling :D

Hi Mr Ned, Yep, the mid 70's were a bit silly for steep angles and short wheelbases for road bikes. The Holdsworth team hated their very short and steep frames twitching about in the bunch (oops - peloton) so changed them for something a bit more "relaxed" :)

Shaun

As a callow youth I once irked Joe Whisker mightily by suggesting using Zeus components (which he didn't stock), and resorting to his extensive inventory of Campag. spare parts in the event of anything going wrong with said Zeus components. Joe explained 'tolerances' to me, pretty loudly... :)

Personally I can 'tolerate' Nuovo Gransport, except for that rear mech. The Nuovo Record rear mech. is so iconic and pretty. The Nuovo Gransport is like the plug-ugly uncarved block from which the Nuovo Record was sculpted, (and probably is, apart from the pressed steel pulley-cage).

After a bit of Googling it turns out Minelli is a bike shop in Padule, near Gubbio, Umbria - they still have the same phone number as on your sticker.
They are also listed as a retailer on the Bottecchia website.

Mark.

Back