Rear mech cable routing - Kona Unit / Orange P7 2017

TonyMerryfield

Retro Guru
Just looking for a newer frame to replace a dead retro frame. I was looking at both the 2017 Kona Unit & Orange P7 but I really don't get the rear mech cable routing being used. Is it the case that you have cable outer the entire length of the bike from bars all the way to the mech?

Thanks.

Re:

Yup, full-length outers on that. Given the conditions an offroad bike is used in, it baffles me that anyone ever thought exposed inner cables was a good idea..

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":3tbyvj0r said:
Yup, full-length outers on that. Given the conditions an offroad bike is used in, it baffles me that anyone ever thought exposed inner cables was a good idea..

And you shall remain baffled

100+ years of exposed cabling kind of counts against you there

...and having to service said bikes with enclosed cabling, they needed far more attention than what should have been expected.

Any kinks in the inner would just bugger the indexing requiring the whole lot to be replaced and when you have a grumpy customer glaring at you, it was an uncomfortable experience.

Quality stainless inners never seem to have an issue, its just the manky old cheap stuff that furred up within seconds of any moisture appearing 15 miles away that were the problem.

...and dont forget 'Mountain Bikes' were a hot dry Marin County thing

Re:

Ah, I knew you'd be along to fight the fight against anything made after 1995.. ;) :LOL:

Yeah, you install anything improperly - say with a kink in a cable - and no, it's not going to work properly. We run 6 bikes, four of which are either 10 or 11 speed with fully enclosed cables, and none have any issue with indexing. The one with exposed cables running down the down tube does, however, drag crap into the lower runs of outer where it shouldn't be.

To quote Jay Pritchett from TV's "Modern Family":

"Ahh, why am I bothering? You're just gonna do what you want anyway.."

But this is a site about older bicycles, its kind of obvious.

How about you design and market your own frames?

*and we're talking customers who just sling things in sheds and garages, not cotton wool

And and and, you have to use decent outer too otherwise it flexes leaving you no better off.

I should have been more clear I've nothing against using outer all the way through but it has to be done properly and many dont, leaving others sort it out

Back