Rear Chain ring removal

jon w

Old School Hero
Does anyone have any tips for removing a threaded chain set and freewheel from a rear wheel?

I'm assuming that removal is in the same direction as the free wheel but it won't budge.

Ta!

Re:

Removal is anti-clockwise, i.e. standard thread, - you need the correct tool to fit into your make of freewheel. I usually put the tool upright in a vice, fit the freewheel onto the tool, and use the wheel as leverage to undo it. Leaving the tyre on helps with gripping hold of it. If that doesn't shift it you might end up having to destroy something to get it off.

-----
Bruce

Make sure you are using a correctly fitting removal tool, put tool into position, put a quick release skewer through the hub and freehweel remover and screw on the end nut but do not tighten, make sure you leave the skewer with a small amount of slackness. With removal tool attached to hub place removal tool into vice and tighten vice jaws. take hole of the rim and apply increasing anti-clockwise pressure to the rim and it should start releasing the freewheel from the hub. As soon as the rim starts turning you will need to loosen the skewer to allow the tool space to unscrew

Re:

Best method as above.

If you don't have a vice you could put the wheel at right angles to a wall and use the special tool with a looooong spanner or extension tube, it depends how long it's been on for. Or take it to your LBS, mine charged me 2 euros to remove one of mine :D

DONE IT!!!!

Ended up stripping the whole freewheel, getting a large flat bar in the removal slots and gently tapping the bar with a copper mallet. After an hour it finally moved.

Even better news is that the thread is the same as modern single speed freewheels. This means I can use a modified flip flop wheel saving time, effort and money building a new wheel.

Latest posts

Back