Read a Kona serial number?

merk

Dirt Disciple
I`ve been given a another Kona from the early 90`s that`s been repainted...Is there anyway to read a Kona serial number and know exactly which model and year it is? Doesn`t have the hallmarks of a Kilauea or Explosif, and I`m just curious what it might be...Thanks

post some pic's up, do the rear drop outs, bb, top of the seat tube/top tube and a general one with the whole frame shown and I'm sure it will be identified.
:D

It'll tell you the year probbaly, don't know if it gives the model away. Well other than some known styles.

Pictures often say a lot though.

Here we go. None of the parts/paint are original. What do you think?

5591202490_47345c8343_b.jpg

5590610251_16399ce351_b.jpg

5590605633_8bbdff67c9_b.jpg

5590604555_7cff3bc6ed_b.jpg

You'll want that serial number long one, I cannot see the start. Also a picture of the bottom of the seattube just above that bottom bracket to get it's shape.

The drop outs suggest an early frame 92ish or older and there weren't that many frames in the line up then so that should narrow things down.

Sorry, thought I had loaded that photo. I know it`s from the early 90`s...not an Explosif or Kilauea. The question is more of which model down from there that it is. I worked in a shop selling Kona from 91 to 94, there`s a chance I even originally sold this bike! :LOL: There is a 93 in the number...is it that straight forward for the date?

5590609037_7e5914f4a2_b.jpg

F2.... I believe means the frame was made in 1992, so places it as 1992 or 1993 model
I'd say its 1993 as the 'fender mount?' on the seatstay is not sat on the tube, but pierced into the tube
(that sound good ?)

If it feels damnd heavy in the 6lb region it's a Hahana/Fire Mountain
I'f it feels about 5 to 5.5lb it's Lava Dome/CinderCone.

Not sure if an ovalised seatube near the bottom bracket tells you anything between these two frame groups ?

FluffyChicken":3c2dl2gr said:
F2.... I believe means the frame was made in 1992, so places it as 1992 or 1993 model
I'd say its 1993 as the 'fender mount?' on the seatstay is not sat on the tube, but pierced into the tube
(that sound good ?)

If it feels damnd heavy in the 6lb region it's a Hahana/Fire Mountain
I'f it feels about 5 to 5.5lb it's Lava Dome/CinderCone.

Not sure if an ovalised seatube near the bottom bracket tells you anything between these two frame groups ?

I'm leaning towards a 93 model made in the later part of 92 as well, and agree the only way you're going to be able to get any real indication is the frame weight, unless you know a few people with similar aged frames to be able compare the serial number to.

Unless the model really bothers you you could just sticker it as a Kona and leave it model less. Just a thought... :cool:

Back