RC35 HELP!

totalfusion

Dirt Disciple
Managed to collect all the parts I need. Finally found the time to build these and hit a hurdle at the very start.

Steerer in crown - OK
Attach headset spacer - UH-OH!! :shock: :(

The spacer does not sit true, obviously because the crown steerer interface is somewhat skewed. Removing the spacer shows that the steerer has a gap on the front of the crown.

I was planning on taking a dremel to the crown to address the issue - any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated. :roll:

You may have to clarify with some pictures a bit. But it sounds a little like a common issue.

To fit a crown race (the part of the headset that attaches at the bottom of the forks and subsequently contacts the bearings of bottom headset cup) you need to first install a crown race shim.

This is specific to Pace (and a couple of others). Before anything else it fits over the fork steerer and sits on top of the fork crown.

The crown race fits over it, quite tightly.

Without the crown race shim, your crown race will be loose.

Does that sound along the right lines? If not . . . . . . . . Im out :LOL:

And I take it you mean rc35 not 53?

Hi. Yup these are RC35s, my bad - title changed :)

I have the shim, it's an issue between the steerer and crown - of the 1.25" variety.

You can see in the below pictures - not very good but my mobile is all I have to hand at the mo.

Attachments

• 28082011136.jpg
    28082011136.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 539
  • 28082011137.jpg
    28082011137.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 28082011135.jpg
    28082011135.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 539
I see what you mean (just, those pics are massive :LOL:)

It looks almost like the crown is twisted! Maybe the forks were involved in a front end crash which effected (bent slightly!) the crown?

Only other things to check I can think of.

Is the steerer seated correctly?
There is a ring at the bottom of the steerer, is that on correctly?
Are all the 4 bolts torqued equally?

OK - I've taken your input on board.

The steerer is fully inserted - if I take it out slightly the crown and steerer are true!!

Looking at the ring on the bottom of the steerer ii goes almost all the way around - looking at the ring on another (1 1/8") steerer I have the ring only goes 3/4 way around.

This would explain why it is not seated correctly and looking at the way the crown is designed it looks like the clip should only touch the crown at the front of the forks (thank goodness for donor forks not yet dismantled) - I think I need to chop the clip so this fits properly.

Any comments / support before I do this?

Couldn't wait - and I have a spare :twisted:

Marked it up, removed, clamped, cut with dremel - refitted - back in crown ...

... PERFECT!! :D

Now, why would that be? Maybe an older crown that accepted shorter ring clips?

totalfusion":225aex0m said:
Couldn't wait - and I have a spare :twisted:

Marked it up, removed, clamped, cut with dremel - refitted - back in crown ...

... PERFECT!! :D

Now, why would that be? Maybe an older crown that accepted shorter ring clips?

Nice one! Glad the crown wasnt damaged!

I have never noticed or heard of differing ring clips on the steerers. justbackdated is the guy to speak to when it comes to pace forks. Maybe he could shed some light.

You never know - it was justbackdated who I got the clip from, although it was the same size as another I had ...

... the mystery continues :?

For what it's worth, a pair of RC35's I used to have on an old Explosif was missing the circlip and I managed to find one at work which was a perfect fit.....except it was too close to the back of the crown. I had to cut it down so it only went about 3/4 of the way around. It fitted ok then.

Finally fitted these yesterday and rode them hard today on some local trails.

This is the first time I have EVER ridden with any suspension :oops: - WOW - can't believe what I've been missing out on! if only I had spemnt a few hundred quid extra when I spent over a grand on my Elite all those years ago ... :D

I'm a convert and never looking back :twisted:

(I also forgot how lovely a cleaned and regreased headset can be too - it's been a while :roll: )

Latest posts

Back