rBoTM RBotm December 2023 - Open Month - POLL NOW UP - VOTE NOW!!!!

road Bike of The Month

RBotM December 2023

• Nabeaquam - 1936 BSA Gold Medal

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Psimpson - 1939 Claud Butler Super Arrow

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 3wheeler7 - 1930's Selbach

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Foreigner - 1930's EF Russ

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Jesper - 1930's Automoto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ullswater - 1970's Manufrance Randonneur

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That BSA is a very deserved winning bike without a doubt, and I went for the Selbach which I thought might be close or even win given its worthiness; not to mention the other great entries.

Regarding voting, I always tell a couple US guys to check the entries and support the contest by voting whether they entered or not. I know at least one voted.

I live in a vintage bike riding "desert"; my car mechanic knows more about classic bikes than a shop I visit. I went to the bike shop yesterday for a QR skewer on my '81 Colnago and you'd have thought I was riding the Pope's gold plated one with the remarks I got. I think they forgot what cones, cups, etc. are, and one guy thought my freewheel was a cassette/freehub set-up. Zero "eroica" type rides in my area, and getting be zero knowledge too. They'd rather sell a new bike than service a good old one. Selling a $500 single speed coaster brake beach cruiser with cheap parts on it is their priority now, and of course the dreaded (to me) e-bike craze over here.
There is a small group that has a decent road ride up here every summer Tuesday at 6PM. They all have carbon jobs, but they all also have a classic steel bike. Once a year they ride the steel bikes. When I join I always have a 1930s-70s classic. They ask me how I can stand to ride my bikes, kinda inferring their junk compared to theirs. I get mad, stand pedal up a glacial moraine, up to the top, where it’s back country farm roads and blow all of these youngsters away. They always cheer. I turn around at 15 miles and they continue another 15 miles before turning back. I‘m usually loading my bike up when they all roll back. They’re all 20-30 years younger and I don’t want to slow them down so I bow out. I could do the distance but I start to slow down and know when it’s time to retreat. It’s a nice group that knows road riding rules, which makes it a safe ride.

A well deserved win Nabeaquam!
(I didn't actually vote this month as I could not decide).
It’s usually a little easier for me to decide. The bikes are generally bike brands I’m not familiar as we don’t have any or few in the states. I get to look them up, get familiar and look at their design and purpose. So I don’t have much of a brand preference but I look to see where it would shine on a ride up here. Then I usually can get my choices down to a few, then look at the quality of the restoration. Parts are also a deciding factor, if they appeal to my esthetic, that helps. Sometimes I wish we could have two votes.

Last edited:
Many congratulations to Nabeaquam on a fantastic win. Deservedly so even amongst such strong competition.
Very well done sir!

And as Nob says, black and gold is always a good start.
Foreigner, we do have themed months, every second month we try to have a theme and a 1930’s one hasn’t been done for a while, but due to this great month we are best saving it until later in the year.
You also mentioned ‘ And in Jan we could also have overall winner of the year chosen from 12 monthly winners?‘ that is what I tend to do each year and now that Decembers Poll has concluded I will get sorted for RBotY 2023 comprising each months winners from 2023.
As for what might seem low numbers of votes considering the members that are active in the road bike section, it is low but we come back to the same question of low entry numbers. The entries and votes come from generally the same core supporters. I have in the past encouraged other sections to vote but to be honest it doesn’t make any real difference, especially when we can’t get increase from our own road section. There are several takes on this discussion as was shown when discussing this a few years back with some not wanting to be involved as it’s not formal enough or concourse enough and some thinking their bike is just a rider and so not thinking it is worthy or not, these types of things amongst others, so not always a case of people not being aware it’s happening.
Always open to ideas so keep them coming

Jamie
That’s a crazy attitude, not formal enough? only a rider? Are they elitist? What, are people afraid they might loose? Most of my vintage road bikes are pretty much maggots or rebuilt from bicycle shop dumpster maggots. This doesn’t stop me from entering. I have no ambition to win, I just want others to look and appreciate what I have. I want to see and appreciate what others have. Variety is the spice of life. I have a few survivors from the 1890s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and 50s. they aren’t pristine. Some are resprayed as the nickel is gone or I just left them a little rusty and faded as found. I have 5 more that I plan to enter and I know they have no chance to win, but they’re definitely unique. People will look and learn. The comments might shed light on them with inform I don’t have. It’s all fabulous good fun. Can I re enter one that I previously entered but bombed in the votes?

Back