Rattle can respray

I do it the same way....but I was to stupid or to lazy or both to wrap the stand before....well...now I know which one is mine if I ever lose it on some kind of bike stand meeting or something... IMG_20201027_114319.jpg

Yes, an old bike repair stand is a superb choice. BUT!

One flaw though: If you simply insert an old seat post for clamping, the areas where frame and seat post meet are a little tricky! Best would be an internal quill clamping system there too!

I tried to do that with my clamping system of the paint stand above. I wanted to make 100% sure that the paint can be perfect wherever it should be! Also on the sharp edges of the tubes such as where the seat post inserts into the frame or in the steerer tube!

This becomes a big problem, especially if you paint your frame really rich in 5 or 6 or 8 layers

2x primer, 1x color base coat, 2x main color coat and 2 or 3 clear coats.

What happens when its all dry and you remove the seat post then? ...oh well! Hard cheese!

Seen the spray max 2k clear mentioned a few times in this thread, do you need a proper mask for this stuff or is it safe to do at home? I wanna redo the fluro yellow on a marin palisades trail that I did a few years ago and is now in a bad state. Was thinking white primer (Montana universal primer ?) , Montana gold fluro yellow and a clear coat but not sure which clear is best/ won’t kill me!

Always wear a mask! With woodworking, with demolishing the walls at home and in any case with rattle can sprays.

Seen the spray max 2k clear mentioned a few times in this thread, do you need a proper mask for this stuff or is it safe to do at home? I wanna redo the fluro yellow on a marin palisades trail that I did a few years ago and is now in a bad state. Was thinking white primer (Montana universal primer ?) , Montana gold fluro yellow and a clear coat but not sure which clear is best/ won’t kill me!
I used the mask below (outdoors)
In paint shops, 2k paint is applied with air fed breathing kit. It’s nasty stuff.

Back