Rare full susp Downhill DH retro race mtb bike - Verlicchi

toocoolforschool

Dirt Disciple
Here’s your rare chance to own the ultimate retro downhill bike!

This is the first, or one of the first, full suspension bikes designed specifically for Downhill biking – this bike was the start of full suspension down hill race bikes as we know them.

Designed by Marzocchi and built by Verlicchi, a world leading motorbike and automobile motorsport component manufacturer in Italy.

These now Legendary Verlicchi built frames were marketed and sold by leading bike brands - Iron horse, Kona and Sintesi.

The Verlicchi, Sintesi Bromont was ridden to a downhill world’s final win by Dave Cullinan in 1992 in Bromont, Quebec (hence being named the Bromont when some were made available for general release)

Another famous rider to use the Verlicchi frame was Chris Lawrence who used the frame in 1993.

The bike I have here is very similar and quite possibly the actual bike that Rob Warner rode in various 90’s DH championships. The only picture I can find of Rob is from a magazine and although components would have been changed during the time he used it, it seems likely that this could be Rob’s old bike but I can’t confirm that for sure.

It’s definitely a nice collectable piece of retro downhill bike history, and with the added bonus of possibly being a famous riders very own bike. Hang it on the wall or ride it round the trail centres – either way this is a sound investment, that’s always going to be something special.

I believe these bikes were in the region of $4000 (and remember that was in the early to mid nineties).

When this first full suspension bike was assembled back in the very early downhill days, it was fitted with some of the very best components available with no expense spared.

Here’s a list of some of the parts fitted, to give an idea of the build quality;

Verlicchi Sintesi Bromont Frame

Avalon Starlite Cranks

Magura Race line D Hydraulic front brake

Shimano STX RC rear brake

Fox Alps 4 rear shock

Race face chainrings

Redline pedals

Sram 7.0 grip shifters

Sram 7.0 front gear mech

Sram 7.0 rear gear derailleur

Mavic Energy M7CD rims with “EMR7” stainless steel eyelets

Alpine LP front hub

Kool stop rear brake blocks

Jagwire cables

Cane creek headset

Tioga Factory DH 2.10 front specific tyre

Tioga Factory DH 2.10 rear specific tyre

If you want to see more pics, just click this link to see loads more in photobucket;

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...romont%20pics/

As expected this bike is in used condition but it still rides great, with no problems. The only issue is that the front forks have very little movement.

The frame size is 18" from centre of BB to top of seat post tube.

I have set the starting bid at the value of the rare Cranks. These Avalon Starlite cranks can fetch £200 if you can find them for sale.

So for this whole complete bike with all its top quality retro parts and legendary frame, some one will grab a bargain.

Collection from Kingswinford, West Midlands or delivery available in the UK for £25.

£200
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1st-full-susp-Ver ... 3cb0c4c29f

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think I once saw a picture of Steve Peat sat on an actual bike that looked just like one I once owned. ;)

Best of look with the sale, they are fantastic looking frames and I remember drooling over them in the mags.

Thanks Nick ;)

This bike has a Magura Race line D Hydraulic brake, only on the front - just like Rob's did. Maybe someone built this as a replica but if so they must have had plenty of money to play with back in the day. I certainly didn't know anyone buying bikes like this back then, and presume it would have been mainly professionals using this sort of bike due to the limited numbers available too.

Latest posts

Back