Rapid rise -- stick or shift?

I'd be tempted to change my whole drivetrain to rapidrise. Rivendell is working on the development of a new rapidrise rear mech so Grant P obviously likes it. I haven't read the whole thread, but if you're selling it I'm interested.

This is kind of a test for 1x Ebike conversions of old 3x MTBs.
The Rapid Rise derailleurs are not hard to find on Ebay. But reverse pattern trigger shifters don't exist AFIK. Only Shimano made reverse pull twist shifters for it. The 7 speed ones are fairly common. 8 speed are rare, and 9 speed never existed in my experience.
Start with this. Note the "0" suffix. That's typical of RR parts. Derailleurs should end in 0 also.
That's a good price and fair shipping cost. The matching front shifters are all the same 3x part. People want a lot for the XTR Rapid Rise stuff, and a lot of it is beat up from DH racing. But RR came in just about every other contemporary series. Due to lack of demand there are some NOS deals out there in other series like Tourney and LX. I think there is 105 stuff for road bikes too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Here's a decent looking XT derailleur for $30 buy it now.

I have a brother who commutes in NYC. He gets all my cast off parts.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Here's a decent looking XT derailleur for $30 but it now.

I have a brother who commutes in NYC. He gets all my cast off parts.
I forget that this is a UK website. Bankrupt Bike Parts has these.

$20+ shipping to US makes me look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Rivendell has a page on Rapid Rise.

I've got another trick up my sleeve for this. Front derailers are all Low Normal. So front shifters are all "Rapid Rise". I have been agonizing for a long time about no 9 speed and up Rapid Rise shifters. I just ordered a couple of front Shimano Revoshifters with friction instead of SIS. They're from the triple chain ring era so should pull plenty of cable, and work with any number of gears. I have Rapid Rise derailers that can go to 11-40t w/o a hanger mod, maybe much more with an extended hanger. So may be I can break the 8 speed barrier with some retrotech. 2x11-40t should make a nice setup.
Moron this from Rivendell.

I got the ZTTO cassette. 11s 11-46t lightweight version. I had read the reviews. Issues with chain coming off the larges cogt back pedaling, and chain not laying down on the largest cog. The problem is they didn't make a cut on the back of the cog to define the depth and width of the tooth. There is a shoulder there that's even with the bottom of the roller cutouts. The chain plates can't sit all the way down on the tooth. Looking on the bright side I guess it's about to get a little bit lighter.

Back