Raleigh SBDU Denton fast tourer

Hi Dave

Unfortunately, the only person I bump into sometimes is Pam, who was Colin Davison's wife, and a Director of Denton Cycles when I worked there. Sadly I don't have any images of the place, at any of its addresses over the years. I wish when I worked there that we had the social media we have now as there would have been hundreds of images. I've done my own research and cannot find much at all about the early days of Dentons and the previous Barrass Cycles. I worked with a guy Called Ron Robson, who was the wheel builder at Dentons. He often reminisced about frame building in a hearth, which probably would have been in the Barrass days.

The Cecil Jones mentioned in the London Gazette article was 'Ces' Jones. He took over from George, and Colin and Pam Davison took over from Ces. From what I remember, the Dentons under the ownership of Ces was a mix of cycles and outdoor/skiing. Ces would occasionally pop into Dentons when I was working there - it was funny to see his reaction to mountain bikes. Lots of the older guys like Ces wouldn't give mountain bikes the time of day.

The shop was at 227/229 Westgate Road. I have a 1972 Denton that was built by Mercian with the original decals. This is now Salt 'N Pepper cafe.

The head badge was a crest with the Tyne Bridge before Colin changed the decals to the later 'DC' and DENTON.

It moved to 176? Westgate Road before moving to 21 Blenheim Street (opposite the Model Shop and Diving Centre). That is the address I worked at. I actually have an office just on Blandford Square which over looks the old address - Blenheim Street was demolished for the St James Boulevard - Dance city now occupies the spot.

I worked there till late 1998 and may have sold you your Marin :)

Sorry that I cannot give you much more info on the very early days of Barrass Cycles - Ron retired at 65 in the mid 1990s and I lost touch and Colin sadly passed away a few years back. Next time I bump into Pam (I may be seeing her next week), I'll ask if she has anything.

If you ever want any work done to your Barrass, give me a shout, I would love to.

Cheers
Neil

Attachments

• Denton_rb.jpg
    Denton_rb.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 946
  • Denton_rb2.jpg
    Denton_rb2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 946
Thanks for the swift reply Neil, the information really helps me fill in the details, I might be able to find a bit more from Eddie when I see him next. I'll keep the thread going as and when I see him. It's amazing to have a connection with George Barrass's partner Ces.

You may well have sold me my Marin. I had a quite a few demo rides up and down the street it before I bought it and on a Whyte PRST1 around the same time so you might well have supervised me then as well as I used to jump off that massive kerb outside the shop. I always bore my kids with tales of Denton's when I'm going down St James' Boulevard...

Amazingly the Barrass frame seems as structurally sound as it was when it was made - I had my doubts when I trawled it out of the old guys loft but it's a stunning example.

There must be some local history groups who might have some old pictures of that part of Westgate Road - I think I'll make some enquiries in that direction.

Once again, thanks for the info - it's very much appreciated.

Dave.

It strikes me as weird that a touring frame would be built with 753 tubing. Isn't that the thinnest (albeit strongest and stiffest) of the Reynolds tubings?
I heard that is so thin that it easy as hell to get dents ( so quite unsuitable for touring ).

I thought it was a tubing intended for racing only.

anidel":3dnc8seh said:
It strikes me as weird that a touring frame would be built with 753 tubing. Isn't that the thinnest (albeit strongest and stiffest) of the Reynolds tubings?
I heard that is so thin that it easy as hell to get dents ( so quite unsuitable for touring ).

Nope. Reynolds even played with specific 753 touring and tandem tubing.

anidel":3vleqzwg said:

This is an extract from the 1986 Ilkeston brochure...

Attachments

• Raleigh Ilkeston Catalogue 1986 Part 4_RB.jpg
    Raleigh Ilkeston Catalogue 1986 Part 4_RB.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 916
Back