Raleigh Record ... maybe?

cviebrock

Retro Newbie
In the hunt for parts to complete my Raleigh Europa rebuild (see viewtopic.php?f=12&t=416379), I came across a Raleigh Record here in town.

wYFSCt1l.jpg
Klj4JMQl.jpg
5R4rWUMl.jpg
7bGYTD3l.jpg
dVE1s4Ol.jpg
mkPZzOnl.jpg
80GBFLNl.jpg

I thought at first that since it was made in Canada (as per the sticker on the frame, and the serial number: RA966595), that it'd be 24 TPI in the headset and bottom bracket ... but it turns out it's 26 TPI as well, just like my Nottingham-made Europa.

Was that normal? My understanding was that only UK-made Raleighs had the 26 TPI threading. Maybe manufactured in the UK, then shipped and assembled in CA ... if that was a thing? (The Europa is NN0xxx, so Oct. 1980, and this Record is RA9xxx so Jan. 1979, I believe.)

As a further question, the frames look almost identical to me, apart from the overall size, the pump mounts and a light braze on the front fork of the Europa. Could it be that the frame I had isn't a Record? Or are the frames really that similar between the models? I'm am positive of the serial number on both bikes, if that helps.

Thanks?

Raleigh / Carlton were the masters of badge engineering, same frame with different paint and kit = different bike :)

The early Europa with the yellow head tube was a Carlton frame with Crespera lugs lol

Latest posts

Back