For Sale Raleigh Randonneur Reynolds 531 (1980's) - pricing advice

LeopoldStotch

Retro Newbie
Hi all - New user here and first time posting, but I've spent a bit of time over the years looking at MTBs I couldn't afford in the 90s on here...

I have a Raleigh Randonneur from a relative that is a complete and original one-owner bike, but that needs some TLC (it's a bike equivalent of a barn find - probably hasn't been ridden for at least a decade). It's in working order and doesn't have any structural damage, but the previous owner had a liking for cheap and nasty aftermarket accessories so there's some surface rust from various light fittings etc that needs removing, the paint renewing and new livery.

My original intention was to rebuilt it with a new drive train to use as a road bike, but having seen the price of modern drive trains, I have had a change of heart (I prefer a bike with flat bars anyway...).

My new intention is to put it on ebay (for the buyer and seller protection), but wanted to get a rough idea on what other forum users think it could be worth in this condition, to see if it is worth bothering.

It doesn't have any sizing stickers, but the seat tube is 21 - 21.5" from the top of the bottom bracket to the hole where the seat post goes, and the crossbar / top tube is 22" from middle of seat tube to middle of head tube.

Thanks!

Hi all - New user here and first time posting, but I've spent a bit of time over the years looking at MTBs I couldn't afford in the 90s on here...

I have a Raleigh Randonneur from a relative that is a complete and original one-owner bike, but that needs some TLC (it's a bike equivalent of a barn find - probably hasn't been ridden for at least a decade). It's in working order and doesn't have any structural damage, but the previous owner had a liking for cheap and nasty aftermarket accessories so there's some surface rust from various light fittings etc that needs removing, the paint renewing and new livery.

My original intention was to rebuilt it with a new drive train to use as a road bike, but having seen the price of modern drive trains, I have had a change of heart (I prefer a bike with flat bars anyway...).

My new intention is to put it on ebay (for the buyer and seller protection), but wanted to get a rough idea on what other forum users think it could be worth in this condition, to see if it is worth bothering.

It doesn't have any sizing stickers, but the seat tube is 21 - 21.5" from the top of the bottom bracket to the hole where the seat post goes, and the crossbar / top tube is 22" from middle of seat tube to middle of head tube.

Thanks!
The best thing to do is take a look at ebay and see what Randonneurs in a similar condition have sold for recently. Having a bike resprayed with correct decals is probably going to cost £200+ so unless the bike is rare or of sentimental value it's rarely worth doing. A few pictures would be helpful but based on what you say regarding condition I'd estimate it's worth about £150 (assuming both the stem and seat post move freely and the drive train isn't worn out.).

Thanks for your response. The stem and seat post move easily, but its all original parts, so I think tyres and rear cassette will probably want replacing purely due to age (considering the number of cassettes I go through on my main bike). I've chucked it on ebay with photos now, and had offers of £100 and £120 so far, with others watching the auction. I reckon £150 should be achievable. I saw one go for £295 a year or two ago, but it was more complete (mudguards and pannier racks) and in better condition overall.

Having looked at the pictures on ebay I don't think the paint is that bad. A good clean and wax polish would make all the difference. I'd be tempted to bid myself if only it was a bit bigger.

£200 or so might be achievable although ebay is a complete lottery these days. I've seen several really nice bikes go for not much money recently. Lets hope you have two bidders who both want the bike.

Fingers crossed, it's got a few watchers. It's actually a 22" frame - one of the ebay watchers taught me how to measure it properly!

Back