Raleigh Ozark vs Avanti question

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
Am I correct in thinking these two Raleigh mountain bikes from the 1980s are the same execpt for the components? Were these the only two 531 framed mountain bikes to come out of their lightweight division in the 80/90s?
I have searched the net but there seem to be a lot of lower end Raleigh produced then that come up and I expect I will get a more difinitive answer asking here, thanks in advance.

Thanks, it looks like the Avanti is the highest spec frameset and that there are two other models in the range.

I had a Raleigh Cajun which was 531 but don't see that in the catalogue. Memory is hazy as it was my first proper MTB, probably even first proper bike, I think it had exage trail or mountain, rhumbies and cantis if course.

It was white, turquoise and navy blue fade. Very nice all round. Only ever come across one for sale in my time so don't seem that common.

I'm sure there were other 531 framed MTBs from Raleigh around that time period.

The Blueridge was part of the 1990 range iirc. Raleigh's colour schemes started going 90s exactly from 1990 I think. That range had other nice models like the Thunder Road, Moonshine and holy grail White Lightning.

I also haven't seen the Cajun in a catalogue, but the paint scheme + the lack of u-brake suggests 1989.

I had a Raleigh Cajun which was 531 but don't see that in the catalogue. Memory is hazy as it was my first proper MTB, probably even first proper bike, I think it had exage trail or mountain, rhumbies and cantis if course.

It was white, turquoise and navy blue fade. Very nice all round. Only ever come across one for sale in my time so don't seem that common.

I'm sure there were other 531 framed MTBs from Raleigh around that time period.

Attachments

• 31970075527_479cec404f_z.jpg
    31970075527_479cec404f_z.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 5
There age is, my first ever, proper mountain bike. Where it began for me. Where did it stack up in the hierarchy?

Back