Raleigh Equipe Brake Pads

jamman1125

Retro Newbie
Hey all. Did a restore back in the summer of a Raleigh Equipe, although im looking for more braking power. The old X blocks aren't giving me that force im looking for.
Been scouring online but cant seem to find the answers im looking for. These old X blocks are about 40mm length, but the alternative shoes im looking at are coming in at around 55mm. Will this cause any probelms?

I also cant see why pads like this are specified to campag/ shimano when they look like they will fit either. From what i can see these would fit fine on my side pulls.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... 52085.html

Thanks for all the wisdom

James

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_190931.jpg
    IMG_20200620_190931.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 115
In my experience, that sort of brake shoe is fairly universal. It's generally the replacement blocks (as in the rubber inserts) that are manufacturer/caliper shoe specific although there can be issues with the adjustment available in the mounting and the depth of the block that can cause problems (especially with dual-pivot calipers) - the wrong combination can mean that you can't get the block face to touch the rim parallel with the rim face when applied. You might hit that problem as those blocks will probably be considerably shallower that the X blocks.
Length-wise the only possible problem I can think of is that the back of the shoes might touch the fork blades or seat stays on some frames when using wide rims or when a cable release is used while changing a wheel.

Main issue there with the braking might not be the pads, but maybe the bendy Weinmann/Raleigh callipers. If you were to upgrade the callipers to something like 90s Shimano br-1050, they’d significantly improve the feel and braking force without looking out of place or breaking the bank. I can see some longer drop ones on eBay for £24.99 which would do the trick.

Re:

Yes depth could be a factor, but I think i should be able to get enough depth with the washer on the inside. As long as length is okay I think I can sort it.

Not a bad shout on the new set of calipers, I found the ones you were referring too. Im supposing long drop is what ill be needing? I did think the raleigh calipers were pretty solid, but at the end of the day it was made to be a budget bike.

Also getting a suntour power shifter for it, should really improve my gearing experience! Found some really nice new old stock sachs front deralighers too which should really set it off.

Back