Raleigh 653 Castorama Replica (Finally got out on it)

Re: Raleigh 653 Castorama Replica (little update 9th May)

This will be a a real gem by the time your done ;) .

Thanks to the Donor bike I bought I now have some lovely minty fresh Shimano parts to go on this.

I'm going to be running full 600 Ultegra. The Donor bike I bought was a Koga Miyata and had the full full group set on it and as you can see the parts had no millage on them at all.

Also had a BB but that's back in the frame now, I then managed to land a NOS ITM stem and NOS bars

But the best part of the donor bike for me was that it had ultegra hubs laced to TX Profile rims, all ive done is replace the decals and added my tyres

Also got the saddle, just waiting for he seat post to arrive as the Miyata was the wrong size

Just need to replace a couple of decals on the frame, add the Shimano ones ive had made to go in place of the Campagnolo ones and I can build it up.

Re:

Nice one ! :cool:

How on Earth does this stuff get used and unmarked after all this time? :?

Well spotted on your part though buddy :cool:

I know Mike, I couldn't believe the condition of the parts. I kept thinking they won't be as nice as the pics but when it arrived they were :)

Sold the frame, stem, front mech and set post on which as funded most of the additional parts I need. But its the wheels I can't get over the spokes look like they were built yesterday and the rims don't have a mark.

Re:

I love those rims. Bought a new pair a while ago, only to realize they were tubs! :facepalm: :roll: :oops:

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2wn40yv8 said:
I love those rims. Bought a new pair a while ago, only to realize they were tubs! :facepalm: :roll: :oops:

The ones on my team bike were used, but I found a place that can strip them and then once I polished them up they re-hard anodised them for me.

Nice :)

My 531c version has some of this groupset, but has the earlier 600 brakes and levers, a campag headset, seat post and BB and cinelli bars and stem

Now I'm starting to think I need to sell what I can and find the matching items!

and where can i get some of those Michelin tyres?? (my Mavic's have ones that are perished to oblivion!)

Good score mate as those parts look great so i'm very keen to see these parts fitted as this will look real sweet when it's done ..

Cheers Guys, was deff a good score. Once I have the last few bits and decals I will get it built up.

In the mean time top tip ......

When looking for original bottle cages, don't spend silly money on the chrome ones or nos ones. Buy the cheaper ones that are painted and or a bit tatty. Paint strip them and then sand them with different grades of paper and finally polish with Autosol ....... and there you go nice shinny original TA cages

Nice one mate and those bottle cages look real smart after your hard graph :cool: and top tip by the way as i've got a yellow bottle cage that looks real tatty so now i know what to do i'll put your tip to good use when i'm better ;) ..

Back