Raceface Real Seal headset concave odd gap. Good to go?

mezzanine

Retro Guru
Okay apologies in advance this is borderline to go in the main retro forum chat so forgive me and mods feel free to move if not suitably old enough but I thought it was interesting enough to go here for now at least. I'm wondering why did Racface design it with a gap on top of the upper cup. Is it something to do with the headset being oversized like the Hope Enduro headset? I've hopefully attached a photo to show the gap which lets dirt in, I took the photo after removing all the crud.

Every other bike headset I've used there's been no gap including the Hope Enduro. It feels fine and if you look closely the silhouette of the gap looks slightly concave so I don't think that's the steerer thankfully but as online literature is hard to come by (I looked) maybe someone could chime in if they've seen this before & just a design quirk and totally fine. Curious stuff as there must be a technical reason for it - to stop direct contact even though every other headset is flush.

Thanks in advance, Ta Mezz

Attachments

• IMG_8930.jpeg
    IMG_8930.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 442
Re: Raceface System stem concave odd gap. Good to go?

They designed it with a gap as that is where the seal is supposed to go, also another on top.

Here is a quick pic i grabbed online, i actually have mine sat in front of me but means finding my camera :|

Attachments

• rf hs.jpg
    rf hs.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 429

Thanks mk one, much appreciated. So I'm missing a black seal. Bike was well used by the previous owner I'm surprised how good the headset feels without the seal however I still wonder if that's not helped the life of the headset. Okay to run it like it is do you think as I can imagine getting a new old stock seal won't be easily found.

P.s lovely green version from the net

Perhaps it has something to do with the steerer length, previous owner trying to keep the height as low as possible :facepalm:

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":9iergt92 said:
the 'clamp' is stopping it going down further (I forget it's real name, plastic cinching bit thingy)

http://www.bikerecyclery.com/nos-race-f ... lver-rare/
same headset, but threaded top part.

Ah, do you mean the top cone shaped part that pushes down on headset to help compress it? that could be the problem, the cone needs to go on top of the headset, if thats underneath the top part you will not be able to tighten it right down.

Here is a pic of your headset with all bits including cone at back right of picture.

Attachments

• rf rs3.jpg
    rf rs3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 388

mezzanine":m2z8ekuy said:
Thanks mk one, much appreciated. So I'm missing a black seal. Bike was well used by the previous owner I'm surprised how good the headset feels without the seal however I still wonder if that's not helped the life of the headset. Okay to run it like it is do you think as I can imagine getting a new old stock seal won't be easily found.

P.s lovely green version from the net

Perhaps it has something to do with the steerer length, previous owner trying to keep the height as low as possible :facepalm:

The plastic sealing rings are a loose fit, the headset parts meet without touching them. So if it was indeed omitted for the reason you say, it wouldn't have helped!

I have the black lower seal (the 3mm or thereabouts part). I think I'm just missing the black plastic seal that goes above the Raceface logo. Does the plastic 3-4mm seal act as a structural support in anyway as I'm surprised I cant feel any slop. MK one many thanks for the picture, although you say another seal goes on top of the missing one I have is it a super thin seal ?

P.s Anyone know where I can get one from? There's a complete race face real seal on ebay in Germany, a black one but if anyone has a knackered one i can use for parts let me know & we can sort something out. I think maybe it cracked and the previous owner couldn't source anything.

What's this part and purpose as I don't recognise it on pictures of completed headsets, is it hidden under the stem? Almost looks like a miniature front fork rubber boot.

Attachments

• 50800489-3A2D-4829-B5FB-75089E929027.jpeg
    50800489-3A2D-4829-B5FB-75089E929027.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 345
Back