Quite a selection - new Shimano filth

I really think we get the raw end of the deal in the UK with sourcing parts internationally. Espec post Brexit. Postage and customs kills you.

Retro guys in the States seem to more or less be able to get whatever parts they want, whenever. Lucky dogs.

I tried bidding on a cassette, but it even went beyond the insane treshold I set. Oh well, time to reset my mind on what pricing is normal these days. Looks like we’re following the BMX scene.

Some nice parts there, obviously in high demand.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I didn't notice they were all finishing today - was gawkalized by the prices! Click on the seller's completed items which will tell the full story....

Would this work?
1. Get some pics of boxed old things.
2. Put them on the bay and make sure they sell for a lot (maybe your other accounts and friends can help?)
3. Tell the insurance company that your burgeoning 20th century antique business needs fire protection.
4. Be devastated when your shed, I mean, antiques warehouse burns down with a £$muchness-worth of NOS antiques melted to an unrecognisable lump in the corner (funny how the only thing that survived was that invoice for the NOS widgewangle that the bloke in the Isle of Mann bought for £Somany ....)
5. Goto 1

I really think we get the raw end of the deal in the UK with sourcing parts internationally. Espec post Brexit. Postage and customs kills you.

Retro guys in the States seem to more or less be able to get whatever parts they want, whenever. Lucky dogs.

I'm not so sure about this...

Yes, shipping and import taxes post Brexit must be an absolute killer, but for availability and fair trading, it looks to me from afar that the UK has the US largely beat.

Prices here are just as filthy, if not more so. And especially in the past few weeks/months.

Over there people seem to be a little more reasonable with pricing and certainly more willing to help out.

Or maybe that's just this place skewing my perspective?

I'm lucky to work for a UK-based company, so can have stuff shipped there and forwarded on, but shipping aside, I've found a lot more, in better condition, at more reasonable prices over there for this current build.

People in the UK scene really seem to cherish more interesting bits and are happy to work with others who also appreciate the bikes and the era's we're all interested in.

There's a few people I've "met" over here that are the same, but based on eBay there's a lot of chancers here just looking to make a buck on the likes of us. Rather than have a genuine and abiding appreciation of retro bikes and parts.

Back