Quick release skewers? Is there a right or wrong way?

which side should they be on?

• Total voters
again none drive side, but I doubt it matters, as long as it wasn't tightened by the hulk inline with the tube so you cant get your fingers in behind it.

again none drive side, but I doubt it matters, as long as it wasn't tightened by the hulk inline with the tube so you cant get your fingers in behind it.

Now you see, that boils my piss. People closing the skewer by getting a fistful with the rear stay or fork leg.

I've had rears hooked and sometimes pulled open during races in pretty much every orientation. Even snugged tight right underneath the chainstay and (amazingly) between chain and seat stay...

Haven't been in a position to fight for the holeshit for 20 years though, so these days it's whatever looks nicest.

+1 for non drive side… mainly for aesthetics as the drive side would be too cluttered with them being that side!

Now you see, that boils my piss. People closing the skewer by getting a fistful with the rear stay or fork leg.
its second only to people who use the leaver as a screw and crank it down like a crank bolt, always cringe when i have to unscrew it as its far too tight to un-cam

its second only to people who use the leaver as a screw and crank it down like a crank bolt, always cringe when i have to unscrew it as its far too tight to un-cam
Probably people who used ringle twisters.

For everybody else it damages the cheap plastic cam shim/mounts meaning they tighten and twist more and more.

Use Allen key skewers, no need to worry about aesthetics of sides then.
Just which side gets dumped in the mud.

I love the aero argument, but Danson's point about burning fingers on disc brakes is a good one.

What are these disc brakes of which you speak???

Non-drive for wheels, drive for seat.

Should be law

Like red sauce on bacon butties & brown on sausage. The other way around should punishable by flogging in any civilised society.

I love the aero argument, but Danson's point about burning fingers on disc brakes is a good one.

What are these disc brakes of which you speak???
I guess if you're hamfisted enough to burn your fingers on the rotor when undoing a skewer, maybe quick releases aren't for you...

and anyway, all thru axles are nondriveside, so can't be that much of an issue! (ok, the dozen or so thru axles i have here!)

Trying to remember back to my Saturday job at the local bike shop days (circa 20 years ago!)... don't boxed bikes come with the QRs non-drive side from the manufacturers/suppliers?

Back