Quick release skewers? Is there a right or wrong way?

which side should they be on?

• Total voters

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So...
It's been a while since the Malverns and it's time to bring up a question that I asked at the retrobike show stand about the bikes on display.

The QR skewers on our wheels,... should they be on the drive side? Or do we all have a personal preference and don't give a who ha about whether they're right or wrong either way?

Have your say.... And reasoning

Front wheel on drive aide, rear on non drive side. Removes all chances of something pulling both of at once (note, this is so unlikely that putting this control in place is frankly as ridiculous as it sounds).

Front wheel on drive aide, rear on non drive side. Removes all chances of something pulling both of at once (note, this is so unlikely that putting this control in place is frankly as ridiculous as it sounds).
But that's why forks tend to have tabs on them since 1994ish?

And it is looks over functionality, as any proper retro person should know.
;-)

The big advantage of front on drive side is that the QR lever is concealed behind the fork blade. But I don't follow that as it makes more sense (to me anyway) to have both on the same side.

But that's why forks tend to have tabs on them since 1994ish?

And it is looks over functionality, as any proper retro person should know.
;-)
Oh, i thought they were there to prevent litigation if the wheel did fall out. 🤣

Besides, one either side means everybody can see your Hope Ti levers. For me it meant i could open a bottle of beer either side. 😁

Non drive side on both ends of the bike.

Can’t think of any instance where for safety they would be opposite.

Has anyone ever opened a QR on a branch?

It’s not like if you undo a QR the wheel just drops out even on the rear. And most forks have lawyers lips (RC36 don’t ).

Coming from Road then CX always non drive.
Why are seat post mostly drive side?
Never seen anyone have them pulled open by accident. Plenty of times outside the pub on the way home though.

Back