Question about Bolts for Shimano XTR V Brakes (M951)

EccentricRich

Dirt Disciple
Hello All

I'm sure most people know that the securing bolts for Shimano XTR V brakes (M951 etc.) are almost impossible to find if you don't already have them. You can't use regular 6mm Allen bolts as the heads of these bolts are too big to give clearance to the cam and rod mechanism on the V brake. Shimano XTR Ms might not be the most fashionable V brakes these days but I love the unnecessary complexity of them and need to run a set on my early Marin Muirwoods. (I've got the brakes but no bolts).

My question to the ingenious members of this forum is "what fixes have you come up with to overcome the lack of availability of the correct bolts"? I'm thinking of asking a local engineering shop to machine up some small top hat type washers, 6mm ID, 9.5mm OD, in stainless steel to give clearance for the cam and rod. Won't be cheap but should be effective.

Thanks,

Richard

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I'm certain there was a thread somewhere on here with a link to a cycle spares supplier (sorry,can't remember who :( ) selling aftermarket ones.If I manage to dig it up I'll post here.

Re:

Pretty sure someone somewhere does ti versions. I have some somewhere. I'll have a rummage as if I find the ti ones, I'll swap them over and will have some spare ones.

I have some proper bolts, there is actually one on the monitor stand in front of me.
At least I think it's one for the M951 brakes.

I replaced the originals on the bike with turned down 6mm stainless bolts
and kept the originals when I sold the bike. I kept them to go with a set of brakes.
I will look in my bolts bin I might have some extra turned down ones.

Re:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice given. I've ordered the Shimano bolts on eBay that Once a Hero kindly linked to. Hopefully I won't get clobbered with import duty and a handling fee when they arrive in the UK from the US.

Richard

Back