Proto Manitou

Re:

I wasn't suggesting the eBay bike was a "forgery ", just curious as to what makes it a "prototype " apart from the fact it has the word "Proto" scribed on the BB shell.
I didn't know the later bikes actually came with the bikes birth date carved into them :LOL: no mistaking if its worthy of BOTM with those :LOL:

For me the problem is

If it’s a standard sold in a shop bike .... where is the serial number the factory would have put on it ?

It’s certainly plausible it’s a “not for sale” early frame but a prototype- who knows

Trade show - display / Test bike ?

Re: Re:

eejoor":10h0ux9p said:
Mine (fs0009) comes from germany. Acording to the original owner it was a demo/test bike.

That makes a lot of sense - an early not for “retail sale” example
Makes them different (more interesting) but without wishing to be rude not inherently special unless of course it was the one that appeared in a well know magazine test and you have the provenance to support it.

Re: Re:

-Niellesie-":3b87od2a said:
Arent these prototypes welded by doug bradbury?

Not as far as I’m aware especially with Manitou II’s - the first ones were Mani I and took strange sized rear hubs so you didn’t need to dish the rear wheel differently L/R

Pete MCC has or had one which predates these by 12 months or more. Great read if you have time. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/feature-bike ... uspension/

These would appear to be demo’s for the mass production model - always interested to know more or otherwise

Latest posts

Back